Best heavy 7mm bullet going slow?

alphapygmy

Any experience with these 7mm bullets at an impact velocity of around 2500-2600ish?

175 ELDX
180 ELDM
180 Berger Hybrid

I built a long action 284W with my f-open reamer and it hammers with 180 hybrids and both ELDs, They run around 2700 MV. I usually hunt in timber with a typical shot being 30-50 yards and use either a Swift Scirocco or Barnes TTSX. Looking to be able to reach out to 600-650 in a new spot. The biggest animal would be black bear and unlikely but possibly an elk, smallest would be wolf or cougar. Typical game would be deer close up. I'm assuming they would all work unless I'm trying a high shoulder shot on something like an elk close up. Anybody have experience that relates? Thanks

So, at your 650 yard mark you're expecting an "impact velocity" between 2500-2600? My 7saum at 650 is only 1970fps, so you'd need close to 4k at muzzle.
I'm expecting an impact velocity of 25-2600 because I normally get shots around 50 yards. I know all these bullets should work fine at extended range but which one would hold together best at my usual close kill distances. I listed these three because I have a bunch of each.

Any experience with these 7mm bullets at an impact velocity of around 2500-2600ish?

175 ELDX
180 ELDM
180 Berger Hybrid

I built a long action 284W with my f-open reamer and it hammers with 180 hybrids and both ELDs, They run around 2700 MV. I usually hunt in timber with a typical shot being 30-50 yards and use either a Swift Scirocco or Barnes TTSX. Looking to be able to reach out to 600-650 in a new spot. The biggest animal would be black bear and unlikely but possibly an elk, smallest would be wolf or cougar. Typical game would be deer close up. I'm assuming they would all work unless I'm trying a high shoulder shot on something like an elk close up. Anybody have experience that relates? Thanks
"My" unwritten rule is >1500 FT-LBS and >1800 FPS at POI. It appears that your current load is suitable for 600-650Y. Good luck and happy safe hunting.
1695292590324.png

Last edited:
I don't own a 7mm of any kind. But my experience with the 225 eld m out of a 300 Winnie starting at 2760 or so has been nothing but awesome. Opens up violently. Still a big Exit wound on whitetails hit through the shoulders at under or around 100 yards, and DRT very broad wounding and of course an exit again on a big bodied whitetail buck at 400 or so.

I'd vote eld m. I'm sure the 180 7mm would behave similarly.

175 ELDX
180 ELDM
180 Berger Hybrid

I've been shooting 180 Berger Hybrids through my .284 Winchester long range competition rifle for the last six or eight years. I haven't tried their hunting 180 hybrid bullets but I suspect they will shoot every bit as well. Berger don't make no ugly bullets.
As to impact velocity, I send them on their way with a MV 2850 fps; I'll leave it up to you to calculate the impact velocity at distance.

Last edited:
guys stop thinking about range. It does not matter. Op asked about an impact velocity. it does not matter if that impact velocity happens at a mile or a foot.

Op, I think all those bullets will upset well at that velocity. I am not terribly experienced in 7mm bullets, but I've read a decent bit of experience on them when looking at a new 7mag bullet for my pops. All those seem to be winners in that range. My personal experience has been in 215 hybrids and 143/147 6.5s all in that range and no issues.

Last edited: