heavy bullets and the 7mm

zuba

I'm wondering what kind of performance people are getting with the 180-200 grain bullets? I've got a 30" 8 twist barrel on the way and I'm trying to decide on a caliber. I'd like decent barrel life and good performance on deer/antelope way out there. Its most likely going on a savage action. thanks guys

I've never had a deer stop one of the 7mm 200 grain Wildcats although I did have an elk stop one at just under 700 yards that went almost full body length.

This was the entrance on the spike elk.
DSC01926Small.jpg

It traveled cross body and ended up in the opposite side hind quarter.
DSC01930Small.jpg
DSC01930Small.jpg

Was that with the allen mag? I wish I had an action for something of that caliber! It would take me about half a second to have it built. What kind of velocities was that launched at?

It was with the 7mm AM and the impact velocity was about 2700 fps. Have had impact velocities on deer from about 3100 fps down to about 2500 fps and deer don't even slow it down. The thing with starting the 200 grain Wildcat at 3200 to 3300 fps is that it's still trucking right along even at 1000 yards. I've never recovered one from a deer and the entrance holes on deer have been typical small holes but once inside it expands in a few inches and the exit holes are typically around 1.5" to 2" with everything inside that it contacts turned to jelly.

My 284 Jazz was built off a long action with HS bottom metal(300win). 189's at 3200fps. Can't tell you how it performs or barrel life(first one). Didn't get even a doe tag this year. I do however Hope to take it after some free range african game down in Texas in 2011.

7 dakota is also another good option.

Brent

I am currently putting a 26" stainless steel varmint contour McGowan barrel on my 7mm Rem Mag. It has a 1:9" twist. I have a box of 168gr. SMKs that I am going to be shooting through it. It is a Savage 111 action. I may try some of the 180gr SMKs depending on what performance I get from the lighter bullets. I have to wonder if the 180s will yield a COAL that is too long for my magazine, so we'll see. I plan on hunting white tail, black bear, and possibly take it out west as some point to hunt pronghorn, mule deer, and possibly elk. I am looking so forward to getting this gun all put together!!!!

My 7wsm pistol runs the 168smk's around 2850fps. I'm hoping for something a lot bigger. I really want to run the 200 wildcats or the 180 berger. I've thought about the Dakota. The Jazz is on the 338 norma case right? That would be interesting if it fits in a normal magnum action.

Matt my 7rum with 26 inches of barrel would run 180 bergers at a comfortable3200. 175 smks at 3275 was within reality. Alas I pulled that barrel after 350 rounds. it was a 9 twist and just started acting up, inconsistent velocities with what at one time was a good load. If I built for the 180 again I would run an 8.7 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.