Best hand priming tool

I used the, Lee, RCBS,and the other similar hand seaters with frustration. About six years ago I bought a Co-Ax Forster primer seater. While a compact bench seater, its fast and with a very reliable design that quickly adjusts to fit any case and will handle stubborn cases/primers with perfection. It has excellent seating feel. It doesn't have to be screwed to the table top to operate. I will never go back to a hand primer.

I too have the forsters bench primer seater. Great feel and.fast once you get.loading.the.primers.in the.tube down

For my portable reloading setup and when I am just loading a.few rounds I have.a.Sinclair. it also has a great feel on primer seating.

'accurate' hand priming tool? I don't understand what you mean, could you explain please.
The indicated K&M is the only primer tool that preloads each primer to a chosen/recommended crush value -per primer -per pocket (which both vary). With this tool you see pretty quick that you cannot do this by 'feel'. The only way, like most things, is through actual measure.

Whether is makes a difference would depend on conditions otherwise. So like other efforts, 'best' has to be qualified. You can see right here that best is considered differently. So until defined, by the OP, there is no right answer.

I also like the Lee. They are so inexpensive you can get several for each loading need. I have always carried a portable loading set at Perry or when hunting out West just in case. Lee's hand press, powder measure and scale, etc could be carried in a small box.

The indicated K&M is the only primer tool that preloads each primer to a chosen/recommended crush value -per primer -per pocket (which both vary). With this tool you see pretty quick that you cannot do this by 'feel'. The only way, like most things, is through actual measure.

Whether is makes a difference would depend on conditions otherwise. So like other efforts, 'best' has to be qualified. You can see right here that best is considered differently. So until defined, by the OP, there is no right answer.

I might have improperly worded the title of my post for "best". I meant to say what most users have found to be the easiest to use, without creating any undue difficulty in the operation, and considering cost compared to like units, what might be considered by some to be "BEST" for everyday reloading while keeping in mind that some might not have the mechanical ability to figure how to manipulate the complicated adjustments of some hand trimmers that can be adjusted for seating depth of the primers, and durability can certainly be factored in. You know, the "best".

So, considering the aforementioned, of the Lee, the RCBS, the Hornady, the Lyman or the similarly priced instruments, which one is "good"?

I suppose too, that if anyone has tried several, they might be able to define one as "best all-around" considering multiple factors and parameters.
I really only want to buy one and get it right the first time, so I will defer to other user's expertise/experience in the matter.

Last edited:
I have been reading some of the other responses and all of them are good. One other thought I had was that the need for a "best hand priming tool" would not be necessary if the loading press had a good priming setup. I recommend Lee products (but not all of them), because their price point is usually lower and they are innovative and do a good job. My 4 Hole Classic Turret Press has, for me, an excellent priming arrangement. I am not a fan of automatic primer feeds, especially if one can not check the seating of the primer immediately. My hand priming tool, is more of a back up; ideal for on location loading requirements. This may not work for you. Good luck.

Ah, I understand this, thank you.

I've been thru way too many tools. My favorites are the Sinclair and the K&M. Rest are toys for the most part. I had trouble using the Sinclair due to a hand injury, and bought the K&M. Never looked back.

gary

I use LEE mostly, and a Sinclair for some. Since having my hand operated on a couple times scraping away arthritis, I may have to go to the Forster, save my thumb! :)

I have the Sinclair also K&M and I can adjust seating depth. I also have set of Whitetail carbide primer pocket uniformer made by Dick Wright that I use after first firing.

I like the K&M. It's stout. Tougher than the priming forces applied during priming. Meaning it won't bend, stretch, deform, or yield before the primers are seated. Built like an anvil.

I might have improperly worded the title of my post for "best". I meant to say what most users have found to be the easiest to use, without creating any undue difficulty in the operation, and considering cost compared to like units, what might be considered by some to be "BEST" for everyday reloading while keeping in mind that some might not have the mechanical ability to figure how to manipulate the complicated adjustments of some hand trimmers that can be adjusted for seating depth of the primers, and durability can certainly be factored in. You know, the "best".

So, considering the aforementioned, of the Lee, the RCBS, the Hornady, the Lyman or the similarly priced instruments, which one is "good"?

I suppose too, that if anyone has tried several, they might be able to define one as "best all-around" considering multiple factors and parameters.
I really only want to buy one and get it right the first time, so I will defer to other user's expertise/experience in the matter.

Keep it simple, pick one and go for it ...

I too use the RCBS and thus far for "MY" applications it works up to 1K yards and my targets can't tell the difference, "IF" I do "MY" part. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

I have been using the lee hand prime for decades. Absolutely no issues.
I have been using the Lee hand primer tool and it is quick . I will not use it on my 7 Mag case , it does not seat primer deep enough. When I am done using the tool. I will use my RCBS priming tool on my press to confirm the primer is fully seated.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.