Best Hammer for Elk

Best for this situation I should say.
My Wife drew an Arkansas Elk tag. Her favorite rifle is a 6.5x55 in a Swedish Mauser and her other rifle is a Ruger 6.5 CM.
She prefers the Swede, She has harvested 2 Elk in the past, both with the 140 grain Nos. Part. which is very lethal.
She likes the low recoil and with the 6.5, I told her it is fine to 300 yds for Elk, that's as far as she wants to shoot anyway.
I have some 143 ELDX, 139 Scenar, 140 Gold Dot and 130 gr. Accubonds to load, so not hurting.
But the 140 Nos Part is nearly impossible to buy, the ones I saw were pricey, if I go pricey I may as well try Hammer bullets.

So, with the self imposed limit of 300 yds, most likely less than that, for those here who have actually used Hammers for Elk, which hammer would you use? I believe her Swede to have a 1-7.5 twist and the backup CM to be a 1-8.
My leanings right now is the 124 HH but what say you?
I shot a wildebeest on the point of the shoulder with a 123 Absolute Hammer. One shot kill. In 6.5 CM the absolutes can be loaded to PRC velocity levels. Mine were 3140, loaded with Staball 6.5. Given your constraints, I would go that route and not think twice about it.

I shot a wildebeest on the point of the shoulder with a 123 Absolute Hammer. One shot kill. In 6.5 CM the absolutes can be loaded to PRC velocity levels. Mine were 3140, loaded with Staball 6.5. Given your constraints, I would go that route and not think twice about it.
Good info, thanks !

Well, a change of plans. Her rifle has a problem, not firing every time. I don't know if the gunsmith will fix it in time.
It so happens that I traded a couple of my rifles for a Tikka Roughtech in 6.5PRC. I thought it would be my rifle, but she really likes it. I know the PRC will recoil more but with the 124 as opposed to the 140 gr Nos she has been using in the Swede along with the Tikka brake, I think the recoil won't be much different.
I bought a sample kit of 124 Hammers and will be trying them this week, I have RL26 and several other good powders.
We shall see!

It so happens that I traded a couple of my rifles for a Tikka Roughtech in 6.5PRC. I thought it would be my rifle, but she really likes it. I know the PRC will recoil more but with the 124 as opposed to the 140 gr Nos
I've got a Hawkins muzzle brake on my 6.5PRC. Ordinarily, I wouldn't have a brake on a PRC but the rifle was bought that way.

It's amazing how little recoil there is when shooting the 124H bullets at full throttle. A brake might be a good option for the wife's new rifle.

The brake is std. on the Roughtech. It reduces recoil a little I think but not as much as some. It appears they use the same brake on all calibers, looks like about a .338 hole. I would remove it if I thought she would shoot prone but that is unlikely.

Recent Posts