Best Hammer for Elk

Just me but I'd use 6.5x55 with a 131 Hammer Hunter with that 7.5 twist or a 124 HH for sure.
There really isn't any difference on the terminal performance between the 123 gr and 124 gr hammers , other than a 150 fps vel gain with the 123 gr absolute with a little more load development, the difference in BC is irrelevant at 300 yds between the 123 gr absolute and the 124 gr Hammer , that is my experience.

You know where and about her trophy kill, but it appears someone is jealous and being down right disrespectful…I hope I am wrong though.
I don't know who is implying what congrats on a nice bull , by the way there's fences all over everywhere , what does that matter . I was hunting Wyoming some years back and it didn't matter which side of the fence the game was on , as a matter of fact that's where I set up game follows fence lines.

Awesome bull! Until I've been seeing pictures and stories like these, I would have thought the 6.5CM would be very risky, allowing for little margin of error on a beast this size. There are endless debates here and elsewhere of course that end up with guys saying must go 300WM etc. I've even been leaning upward from using a CM on my deer hunts this season; one is in a premium zone that took 6 points (years) to score, and shots may be out to 500, my self imposed limit.

I don't mean to highjack the thread but to the point of Hammers and weight- vs say Barnes 127 LRX, does anyone have apples to apples experiance / comparison between the two? Is it now generally recognized that Hammers yield better performance than a matching Barnes TTSX or LRX?

Awesome bull! Until I've been seeing pictures and stories like these, I would have thought the 6.5CM would be very risky, allowing for little margin of error on a beast this size. There are endless debates here and elsewhere of course that end up with guys saying must go 300WM etc. I've even been leaning upward from using a CM on my deer hunts this season; one is in a premium zone that took 6 points (years) to score, and shots may be out to 500, my self imposed limit.

I don't mean to highjack the thread but to the point of Hammers and weight- vs say Barnes 127 LRX, does anyone have apples to apples experiance / comparison between the two? Is it now generally recognized that Hammers yield better performance than a matching Barnes TTSX or LRX?
Minimum impact vel on Barnes 2000 fps Hammers 1800 fps Hammers shed petals and penetrate , Barnes at a longer distance with less Vel stand a chance of penciling through versus Hammers leaving a better wound channel , with less velocity .

Thanks HR. I always plan to restrict the use of Barnes to 2200 or better. Sounds like Hammers will get you out a little futher and still function as intended. So if I really think 500 or farther is a possibility in a certain area, my 7RM will go.

There really isn't any difference on the terminal performance between the 123 gr and 124 gr hammers , other than a 150 fps vel gain with the 123 gr absolute with a little more load development, the difference in BC is irrelevant at 300 yds between the 123 gr absolute and the 124 gr Hammer , that is my experience.
I didnt mention 123 Absolutes. It Was 131 Hammer Hunters and 124 Hammer Hunters .

IMO, having see more than a few 127's pumped into elk and then watching my daughter one shot kill elk after elk with the 124 HH, they are not in the same class for terminal performance.

Recent Posts