Best cleaning rod, brushes, etc for price

Anybody want to talk about Neil Jones stainless rods? He argues the coated rods pick up debris and grit and turn into big files. His rod guides use a double guide type of system that keeps the rod from peening the barrel....I have used a pair of his .22 cal rods for years now. I've always wanted to know what the REAL truth is on which is better. I have Dewey rods as well....

Roger

GET A ROPE. I DON'T USE A ROD, NORMALLY. ACTUALLY I USE A PIECE OF FISHING LINE,
150 LB TEST SPIDER TYPE LINE W/ A LOOP ON THE END. USE IT AS YOU WOULD THE "OTIS" MY PATCHES ARE SO TIGHT, IT TAKES ABOUT 50 LBS TO PULL THEM THROUGH AND THEY SQUEEL & SQEEK! NOTHING TOUCHES THE BORE EXCEPT THE PATCH! NOTHING! HOW'S THAT!

Rogerinneb

I think the truth lies somewhere inbetween and on your techniques. For example, I have Deweys and Boretechs. One of my deweys has the handle bearings frozen and I am still trying to unfreeze, after a year and two cans of rust free it is almost there.

Yes the Boretech coating may not last forever, but we are only talking about a $35 rod versus a $500 barrel. $35 every 2-3 years is cheap in this game.

More importantly, I wipe my rod off each and every time it comes out of the barrel with a clean dry cloth to take off any debris that might be on it. You should do that for any rod no matter mftr or material. This will prevent dirt or sand from becoming embedded in any rod except aluminum which no one should use.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.