Best cleaning rod, brushes, etc for price

cleaning rods:
Dewey or Bore Tech.(coated rods) Price don't matter to me when buying rods because the few extra $$ you spend on good rods will save you $$ money in long run.
Barrels these days cost 230 to 300 plus the 150 for the chamber job. Why use some junk rod that will waste a match barrel in one pass down the bore.
Brushes:
Bruno bronze brushes or Sinclairs

That's my word:
mb

I use the Dewey coated rod and jag, the wrap around 40 cal. patches seem to clean better for me. I don't use brushes, except to wrap patches on to clean the chamber. Never have needed them really. I let the Sweets do the work, and JB to finish up sometimes.

I use Bore Tech rods and brushes. The price of a good rod doesn't compare to what it will save you in the long run.
Crow Mag

[ 02-08-2003: Message edited by: crow mag ]

I used Dewey rods for several years, and really loved them. I got my first Bore-Tech a few months ago and I will probably never buy another Dewey if a Bore-Tech is available.

The difference is unbelievable.

Bore Tech rods are the best. $500 barrel and chamber is worth more than $35 rod.

I do not use bronze brushes anymore. I use the hard bristle "Kleen Bore" plastic bristle brushes. Montana Extreme bore cleaner on the brush heavy and about 10-15 strokes. Then patches with ME on it. Every 2-3 matches or so use isso bore paste or JB on brush and work on throat to keep carbon ring build up down. two patches with Kroil and then two dry patches.

BH

Why do you all like the Bore Tech rod over the Dewey? I have not see them anywhere. I have heard the same positive things about tham though.

Have heard that the bore-tech outer covering does not last as long as the covering on Dewery's, anyone else think so? I like the nylon brushes as well.

I've been using the Bore Tech rods for quite a while and would agree that the coating is not as durable as the Dewey rods.

The Bore Tech rods are available from Sinclair and Brownells.

I still like the Dewey rods and understand they have improved the bearing system in their handles which was the real advantage I saw in the Bore Tech rod.

Have not yet tried one of the new Deweys as my old ones are all still working fine.

Holmes

I own both rods and I much prefer the Bore Tech. The handle is much more comfortable to hold and the rod seems to be somewhat stiffer. I don't think I've used the Dewey at all since buying the Bore Tech.

Bore Tech is almost perfect. The first two rods had problems and were returned about 8 months ago. Bore Tech promptly replaced them. The replacement rods developed multiple problems and were sent back 2 months ago. Just got them back, unrepaired. Bore Tech says they are fine. When I called and asked how a problem with a handle, a cracked rod, and coating coming off is "OK", they explained the rods were "very old". Six months is very old?

Bottom line: four rods & six problems. No satisfaction. My Dewey rod doesn't have as nice a handle or rotate as easily. But it works, does not break, nor does the coating come off.

My advice is to buy a Dewey rod.

My Dewey rod is under a year old. The handle is nice and the bearings are fine, it seems I'll just stick with them. They come VERY long if needed too. Thanks for the customer service report there, and welcome to the board too.
smile.gif

Deweys last for years never had any problems.
Last year got a set of Bore Techs used them for a almost a season and the coating started cracking. Sent them back took 8 weeks to get replacements. Got the replacements and sold them.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.