Cleaning a rifle and selecting rods,brushes,jags,and solvents

Rem9671

Any tips,advice,step by step procedures to clean a rifle,select rods,brushes,jags solvents.
Best brush and rod material to prevent damage to bore.Any solvents that are harmful to the rifle?
Will multi piece rods or bronze or brass brushes,jags scratch or nick the bore?

I'm gonna tag in here and ask what's the difference in the little plastic patch holders vs. a jag? I only ever used the patch holders, that's what they shoved in the cleaning kit in the buttstock of our m16-a2, but that one wasnt plastic, so when I graduated to real life that's what I went and bought.

For me, it was just the way I was taught to clean rifles
My cleaning regiment is as follows:
-clear rifle and remove bolt
-use boretech carbon on a jag, push saturated patch through
-nylon brush scrub, wait 5-10
-run 3 saturated patches, wait 15min
-push clean patch, if it is clean, proceed, if not, run another 3 saturated patches
-once the patch comes clean, I grab my copper remover and do the same regiment

Wipe the the bolt down, grease the back of the lugs.
Wipe the mag well and bolt area.
Insert bolt and done

I use bore tech eliminator. Follow instructions listed above (on bottle). I use Dewey cleaning rod but bore tech rods would be where I would go now. Bore tech products are great and safe for bore. I have Lucas bore guide.

I clean when I start to see accuracy go away. Each gun is different. If you use bullet coatings , you can usually shoot an entire agg (50- 75 rounds).
Patch size is dependent on shape and diameter of jag. I use a .22 jag for every cal. up to 30. I just use larger patches, or stick them off center to get the proper snugness.
I use only quality patches, Pro-Shot, or Sinclair.
I use a good quality bronze brush like Dewey, and I run it both directions, but I am careful exiting the muzzle.
I use Iosso at the end of every agg to keep the carbon from forming.
I still use Butches Bore Shine....Wipe-out would be too much mess and too time consuming.
I also coat the bore with a good oil like Butches......NEVER anything with Teflon, which is in Rem-Oil......I want the barrel to foul (lay down a layer of carbon) quickly so that I can expend one round and then proceed with my sighters.

I'll I'll be reserve on the the cleaning methods and solvents but I will say I've had great success with the Parker hale jags.

Your rifle will typically tell you when you need to clean it. I.e. groups will start to open up. For me that seems to be every 2-300 rounds.

I use KG products.

Pretty much do this:

I don't clean anything before a hunt.

Never had a problem.

I use Dewey or Tipton rods, nylon brushes and quality patches. I typically use good 'ol Hoppes #9 and will clean every other time with "Gunslick" foaming bore cleaner to get out the copper deposits. I always use a Tipton boreguide when cleaning and stroke the nylon brushes back and forth but will take extra care to protect the precious crown.

I clean after every range session and use a bore snake at the range between every other 5 shot group. Cleaning regimens are like the age-old .270/30.06 debates at deer camp. Everybody's got their opinion on what's best, frequency, etc. Another area where I've guess I've just decided to do what works for me.

i think that modern cleaning can be done WITHOUT metal brushes.
o own brushed but seldom use them.
i start with carbon removal with a carbon buster...automotive /marine products, not overly expensive "gun" products.
then copper removal with patches/jags.
i have used wipeout and so far it appears to do well, but not cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.