Best Bullet for New Mexico Antelope

LOBO

Me and my father are going antelope hunting near Raton, New Mexico in August. I will be using a Tikka in 300wsm and my father will use a Browning in 270win. We have both been using Hornady Interbonds of late and have achieved good accuracy. I have loaded the 130 grain Interbonds in the 270win to 2947fps and the 150 grain in 300wsm to 3044fps. How well are the Interbonds suited for antelope? Are they too tough a bullet construction for antelope? Any field tested loads will be appreciated as we don't have many antelope in Mississippi!
rolleyes.gif

We went mule deer hunting in Raton last year. We saw some dandy 'lope bucks near Clayton. You should have a great time!!

Any bullet should work on a pronghorn. I would use a Match King, around 175gr., and rock and roll, brother. Wind will be a real consideration around Raton...sakofan..

I believe the county we will be hunting in is Colfax. I haven't even thought about using a SMK. Good idea! Oh yeah, those T3's will really shoot!!

Those SMKs are looking better every time I shoot them!

I might make hunting bullets out of them after all
shocked.gif

Tim

well, I have hunted around raton for about 5 years now. antelope are a small target at long ranges so bullet accuracy is an absolute must. any bullet will do as long as it is accurate. i haven't really shot antelope much with either a 300 or 270 so i can't give u any loads. but if u need .243 info, i'm all over it

varminthunter-243win and/or anyone with knowledge of this area. I will be hunting the Raton/Clayton area for the first time this August. What is the topograhpy like? What elevation is it at? We will be hunting 'Lope. Do you have any suggestions for a first-timer to the area?

ChipHunter,
My Father and I will be hunting the same area in the middle of August for antelope. Are you using a guide? We are using Tom Klumpker. Anyone familiar with his outfit?

Lobo,
Yes, we are using Keth Riley of Way West Outfitters. I've never hunted New Mexico and I have no idea what the Raton/Clayton area of NE NM is like. I noticed you're using a Tikka. I'll be using a Tikka 30.06 with 165 grain bullets.

[ 07-31-2004: Message edited by: ChipHunter ]

We are going to use Sierra BTSP bullets in both the .270Win and 300WSM for the antelope.
Both rifles are extremely accurate with these bullets. More so than with the Hornady Interbonds.

What can we expect for weather and topography, Lobo? I'm assuming it will be hotter than a pistol and at a higer elevation. Is it foothills, mountainess or more prairie?

[ 07-31-2004: Message edited by: ChipHunter ]

I have no idea. Hopefully someone on here can tell us what to expect. Down here in Mississippi it has been 95+ with about 80% humidity if not higher.

As far as the landscape goes, Clayton and that area is fairly flat, or rolling prairie.
The closest thing to a tree you will find is a telephone pole. Very little vegetation.

The weather?? Let's put it this way. They consider 40 mph winds, a little breezy!!

The wind blows all day, most day's. The only thing to stop it is a barbed wire fence!

That's why I recommend a heavier bullet in my first post. You must be prepared for the wind!! That goes for bullets, clothing, etc.
Weather is as fickle as anywhere I ever lived. Bring an array of clothing.

In November, we had 55 degree days, 15 degree nights, and 8 inches of snow one day, and it was gone by the end of the 5th day. No exaggeration.

Raton is a small town, at the base of the mountains.
If your hunting 'lopes, you'll be south of Raton, I assume. North would put you in the mountains.

There is NOT a lot in the way of gear, ammo, etc. in Raton. Less in Clayton.
Raton does have a K-Mart. That's about it.

If your driving from the East, and going through Amarillo, stop and get anything you may have forgot. There is not a lot past there. Now, I didn't go over the Colo. line to Trinidad, Colorado. There may be more civilization that way, I don't know.
Beautiful country around Raton.
wink.gif

I can send some pics to you, if you like of Raton area.

You should have no problem getting into some nice pronghorns around Clayton. My buddy video taped a couple of herds on the highway. One heard had about 40-50 animals at a watering hole. 4 bucks were nice and one was a pig!!
I didnt see any pronghorns around Raton, but I'm sure there are several in the flats.

Now, that's my take on Raton and Clayton. Other's milage may vary. Oh, did I mention the wind?????
grin.gif
..sakofan..

[ 08-01-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Elevation..

I don't know about Clayton, but on Brilliant Canyon Ranch and Vermajo (sp) Park, we were at around 8,000 ft. We were in the mountains and you guys will be on the flats.
I would guess Clayton to be around 6000 ft??
Total guess, not sure. But, its rolling or flat. You Eastern guys are going to freak out!!

Vermajo Park is owned by Ted Turner. You can book a bull elk rifle hunt over there for around $14,000. Take your check books.
Teddy has about 600,000 acres over there. We hunted adjacent to Vermajo on about 8,000 acres.

Hope this helps!! Good luck and have a great time!!!..sakofan..

The area will be hunting is the Gerald K. Seward hunting area. I think the name is correct. Anyone familiar with this area?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.