Best bullet for coyotes outta my .243?

Well done, and Well said, hard work and perseverance does pay off. Congratulations Elmer, now a new story starts, perhaps My 243 Coyote special,? nah I think you should name her because You rescued her, enjoy enjoy ! VERY HAPPY for you both!!!, regards jjmp.

I'm about to run 55gr BT's through a 6CM with 1-12 twist for this exact purpose. If I'm hunting coyotes and calling wind, then I'm probably not going to be calling many coyotes. Around here anything over 12mph and I go home. Lots of good info here.

P9060080.JPG
Try the Sierra 80g Blitz, all the other Blitz bullets shoot great out of my other rifles. Not too expensive, middle of the road weight/BC and plentiful around the country. Should "anchor them yotes plenty good". I plan on working up some loads for my Savage 6mm-250 I built.

Mike

Didn't read every post but see some shoot the 60gr sierra HP which is about as good as I have found in the 243 on fur. The 243 is just a lot of gun for saving fur, but great when tournament hunting and want to anchor the coyotes.

The Winchester 70 Coyote Light did not like the 58 grain pills at all. It was a calm day and 3 inch groups at 200 yards was it. My heart sank a bit. However i found a box of 100 grain boat tail soft points so I loaded up some of them. My initial outing with the 100 grainers gave me a 200 yard 5 shot group of an inch and 5/8ths. Yesterday afternoon saw the wind light and out of the NW so that meant it would be calm at the range tucked in behind the hills and big pines. I drove to the gong at 300 yards and gave it a fresh coat of orange marking paint and headed to the bench. The first round landed dead center. The second round spanked the gong with authority but I couldn't see where it hit. I fired the third round and again the gong danced on the chains. It was obvious that the 100 grain bullets spanked that gong with a lot more ftbs than the 58 VMaxes. I got in Dango...my coyotie chasing Durango and drove to the gong. I could cover all three splatter dents with a 50 cent piece. I was all smiles about that as I didn't think my abilities were up to that in my golden years.

I have a good friend that is trying to get me to go to Idaho on a wolf hunt. I think that this 100 grain load ought to be just the checker for the big song dogs. What do you guys think? Do I need more gun than a 243 for wolf? I have a 7mm-08 that shoots 139 grainers very well. Maybe it's an excuse to buy a 7mm mag....I have always wanted one...........Your thoughts?

Your 243 with 100 grainers will work fine on a big old wolf. Good luck and shoot straight.
My buddy kills em every winter up here in Alberta with his 243AI shooting a 69 gr berger.

Last edited:
I've been using the 108eld m and they have worked surprisingly well. They are not tough in fur either. I tried some 75 vmax last fall and they were very destructive. I used the 69 gr bergers for years but I started getting runners with them so I switched and am happy.

You need to give the Badlands Precision 79Gr .243 Bulldozer a try. Stable in 1:10 or tighter twist, will kill the Coyote right there and not damage the fur with a huge exit hole. Will work beyond 600 yds and outperform any bullet in in its weight class. Excellent for Deer and Antelope as well.

I've used a bunch over the years

My favorite all around 6mm coyote bullet is probably the 70gr Ballistic tip. It has enough weight to break one down that is running away and it usually doesn't exit on a broadside shot. It might not kill them instantly when they are running away offering only a hind end shot, but it will disable them so another shot can be placed quickly. I primarily shot it through a 6mm using Superformance powder and pushing it at an average of 3812fps. I don't shoot many past 400 yards, and very few past 500 yards so that probably makes me lean toward the mid-weight bullets a bit more.

The 75gr V max performs similar to the B tip but exits a bit more often. I've killed a bunch with it though, it's a darn good bullet.

The 85gr Sierra Gameking is a darn good bullet too, great performance when they hit a deer or coyote. I just always wanted a little more BC when going that heavy and giving up that much speed.

The 85gr Speer BTSP is a good one. It performs similar to the Sierra but has a better BC. It will exit and tear up a coyote, but it dumps them. I used it last year in a tournament once the wind picked up and got 4 with it. I shot a triple with my 243 bolt gun on one stand when the surviving coyotes picked the wrong way to sprint off after I dumped the first one. I ranged my pack from each coyote when recovering them and I got them at 60, 120, and 170yds. I shoot a lot, but luck played a pretty good part in that one. Tournaments I usually have a 12 gauge, AR, and the 243 bolt gun in the truck and will switch between them during the day depending on the set and weather. I don't want to call in a bobcat while packing the 243 with the 85gr Speer, but it can be just the ticket in open grassland. I sometimes get coyotes my partners have missed as they sprint away and this bullet will hammer them from any angle.

The 90gr Accubond and 100gr Gameking have done well also, I just don't see a big enough BC advantage to offset the velocity loss at the ranges I shoot. If the coyotes get that far out or the wind gets that bad I'm going to be packing my 264 win mag and shooting 140 or 143gr bullets at them.

I ordered a box of the new Sierra Gamechanger 90gr bullets. I might just go heavier for that one, it has a BC significantly better than the 90gr Accubond. I have a 1 in 9 twist 6mm that might shoot it well, I'm not sure if my 1 in 10 243's will.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.