Best budget spotting scope

Ethan Dunn

I'm kinda new to long range shooting and would like to get a very budget friendly spotting scope. Have 3 rifles I like to shoot and would make it easier if I had a spotting scope to help see hits. Wanting to shoot 1k by end of year.

Spotting scope will be good to see hits on steel at 1k but I doubt paper. I've got a Redfield rampage (leopolds low end) its a $300 spotter. If I could go back I'd have waited and spent closer to 1k on a decent one. I can see holes in paper at 300 yrds but the problem with the less expensive spotters is they blurr out half way through the zoom range roughly. Mines ok at 20-35x but over 45x its pretty blurry depending on the light.

Ethan what is the price range you are looking at. As stated above sometimes saving money can cost you more.

Looking to keep it around 500. Kinda just getting started in long range so keeping it cheap to see how I'm going to like it.

What I mean by my earlier comment is it's not good enough to be overly useful if u don't get a good enough one

For target shooting I actually like the bushnell mentioned above. A friend/shooting buddy has one and I have soent significant time looking through it during practice and matches.

Spotting holes in paper at 1000? Go shoot at a 1k range and let them mark targets from the pit. $1000 won't get a scope than can see bullet holes in paper at that range. Hell, 2000 may not get you that depending on conditions and your eyesight. Get steel targets. Bigger splashes, audio confirmation and a visual swing of the plate. Then, when it's done swinging, the splash is large enough to see easily.

I am in the market, pretty serious, but I also need a viable spotting scope for hunting so I need a little more. I have decided, for my needs, there is nothing less than the vortex razor line that will work, at around $1000. Ideally I would go zeiss or meopta meostar. Both are dreams at over $1500+ an eyepiece, but are very impressive. At least the two I have looked through.

Last edited:
I agree with Scott63, Vortex Razor is a nice spotter. I have a philosophy about buying. Why buy two when you could just buy one very good one? You will know in a short time that a cheap spotter is one you will wish you never bought. Just getting into 1K shooting; be warned: it's addictive! It won't take long at all til you will see the need in a fine spotter. Save yer money and buy one, not two. you will enjoy it (1K shooting) a lot more.
Oh, and don't forget to correctly install a bubble level on your scope! That you will need.

If you need to just wait and get one down the road. You don't have to have one to get started as 1000 yards will happen down the rd. You'll probably be shooting for awhile before you shoot 1000, at least seriously. You'll have load development and that could be super fast or could take several months before your satisfied with a load and even try to stretch it out to the 1000 yard mark

Look for a used Vortex Viper HD. If you can save a little more than your $500 budget, you should be able to get one. I have the 80mm one and its great, although a little on the heavy side.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts