best brass fire forming method?

This is the method that Speedy Gonzalez has used for hundreds of thousands of rounds.. He formed his brass this way and set world records and shot himself into the BR HOF by doing this.. I have done many thousands this way some for his shop even for customers.

Very simple fill the case about 70% full with Bullseye and place a small piece of cotton ball or wax into the case mouth. Then fire it up into the air---creates some heat so the process is kind of slow (about 60 or 70 per hour)unless you have dedicated fire form barrels. I use this for even the largest of cases I shoot like my 338 Lapua variant and the 300 RUM variant.. Works like a charm every single time…

Well Boss Hoss, I guess there's at least two of us using the "Speedy" fire forming method. Got quite a chuckle reading your post as I was using this method last night to form up a fresh 100 rounds for my 300 Jarrett while hoping no one saw me blowing cotton balls out the front door of my shop.
Glad I have the 8 Speedy builds that I had him do before he left the business. Best rifles I've ever owned regardless of price.

Very simple fill the case about 70% full with Bullseye and place a small piece of cotton ball or wax into the case mouth./QUOTE]

Anyone have an idea about what "70% full" means? How much noise does this make? Can a person do this in their garage without the neighbors thinking they're under attack? And what kind of mess is left downrange? I'm thinking of aiming at a piece of scrap plywood propped up about 15 ft away. I don't mind sweeping up afterwards. Thanks.

-- gr8whyt

I can't speak for Hoss but I think it means a different amount depending on the case? (not real critical as long as you get enough to blow out the case with out blowing out the chamber:D. I use about 11 grs. of red dot in an '06 sized case and it works well. Just a little rounding at the shoulder, but shoots just fine. Just about any pistol/shotgun powder in small amounts will work....Rich

Reading this has been interesting. I was born in the south raised in the south educated in the south and until reading this thread I never knew grits had a useful
purpose.
Dee Miller

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.