Best accurate rifle / scope combination under $2k

I like the NS scope. I was wanting a FFF scope though. I know those tend to be a bit more pricey, although for this price, I would have hoped it to be.
I've never owned a FFP scope, and I do fine. For an NXS w/ Zero Stop that's not a bad deal at all. If I had the cash, I'd pick one up.

Love my NF and had a FFP scope before. Good call IMO on the NF sale.

I sound like a broken record but the stock savage 116 at cabelas has proven to be a heck of a stocker. Nice little package for 750 that has performed well for me in 2 different rifles. They have the 300WM, 308, and 6.5-284.

Yeah, I have 4 sitting in my "cart" right now on Midway, along with about $4K worth of other crap I'll never be able to afford. I wish I was lucky enough to have a job in the industry, like some of yall do, so I could afford some of this awesome stuff. Like the guy in the other section who got a FREE NF scope to try out....How might one go about becoming that guy? :D

you spend $295 on a Stevens action, and then spend another $150 on blue printing the action (probably dosn't need it). For $500 you can buy the PTA action from Northland. The action is very strait and 3.2 times stiffer than the Stevens. Comes with a target trigger that is extremely good. Buy a good prefit barrel for about $400, and figure another $400 for a high quality stock. That's $1300 out the door. Use a Farrell base and whatever rings suits you for about $125. Find a Weaver T24 scope to mount on it, and you still come in under $2K with a better rifle
gary

That is a good option. I had almost forgot about Savages
PTA's. Are these set up for large or small shank?

LOL. I agree. Some people live in a whole different world. I sold a rifle, 3 scopes, a motorcycle, a range finder, and set of tires to buy my current LR rifle. Just like the soccer mom who drives her Mercedes SUV to the store, looks good, drives nice, does the same thing as Ford Escape. Ha ha gun)

That is a good option. I had almost forgot about Savages
PTA's. Are these set up for large or small shank?

Not positive, but think all of them are large shank. That's a plus in that they support the barrel weight better. They're in dual port and left port right bolt configurations with a solid top. Can be ordered in the standard Mauser bolt face as well as the .222 family. Use a three screw action that really settles down the action into the stock. It's pretty much the samething as the custom shop rifles for about $450 less.

The bad thing about them and the LRPV rifles is that they shoot so good they are banned in quite a few of the big name shoots for factory classes.
gary

I like all the load/port configurations,
don't know if a single shot will be a
downside for the OP but defiantly adds
to action strength.

Is there a reason they don't make PTA's in
LA.

BUSH- If you do not reload you need to budget for that too. or if you have buddy who does. for target shooting i would get a good barrel over an expensive scope . you can find a leup 36 for 500. not good for hunting but great for targets.

I like all the load/port configurations,
don't know if a single shot will be a
downside for the OP but defiantly adds
to action strength.

Is there a reason they don't make PTA's in
LA.

more importantly it also does not restrict the overall length of the londed round. As long as the round fits thru the slot it will chamber
gary

A $2000 scope and a $400 scope on a $1000 rifle will yield the same results if you don't know how to use the glass to it's potential. I had a friend that went out and bought a 308 savage 10fp bedded in a McMillan stock, bought a $1400 leupold Mark 4 scope. He ended up getting so discouraged that he sold the rifle because he wasn't "as accurate" as I was with my $500 rem 700 sps varmint in 308 with a $350 falcon optics scope. If you do have experience using different scopes and reticles then YES i'd buy quality. But both Savage and Remington make fantastic starter target rifles. That can be maximized with quality glass. Good luck and keep researching.

more importantly it also does not restrict the overall length of the londed round. As long as the round fits thru the slot it will chamber
gary

It is nice to be able to seat bullets out, I have a few
of my hunting rigs setup single shot that probaly shouldn't
be.

It is nice to be able to seat bullets out, I have a few
of my hunting rigs setup single shot that probaly shouldn't
be.

all my rifles above 24 cailber are magazine rifles, because they're hunting rifles. But all my varmit rifles are either single shot or converted over to single shot. I like this better in a varmit rig, becuase it makes me shoot slower. The tightest groups I shoot are always from single shot rifles. Yet we could simple just drop a round inside the rifle and chamber it of course. On the otherhand we all see folks go hunting every year with Ruger Number One's, and 1885's, and hear no one cry about them being a single shot rifle. But of course they are a completely different style rifle.

Another poster commented about rifle scopes and being able to use them. I'll agree 100% with his post. Now in my old age I'm now taxed with having to wear trifocals (is that not a cruel joke?), and find that a lot of rifles scopes just don't work very well with my eyes anymore. Now I'm looking at a couple mildot scopes to use on two rifles I'm putting together. I find I can pick up the mildots better and of coure easier and faster. Yet having never owned a mildot scope I know it's a new learning expierence for me. In the past I've always been one who counted clicks, but dosn't work so well for me these days due to the fine cross hairs and the even finer dots I prefer. Anybody want to donate a new set of eyeballs? <g>

Whatever the OP decides to do on his new quest, I'm certain he'll be happy, and I can only wish him a lot of luck!
gary

So I finally decided which rifle to get......took me long enough.

I was going to go with a Tikka T3. Less expensive but still very accurate out of the box. I then started looked for a Tikka T3 Varmint in .308 and figured out pretty quickly that Berretta does not import those.

Not very happy at all. So many reviews of the Tikka T3 Varmint, but no one actually says that you can't get them in the U.S. I could get the T3 Tac for double the cost, but that doesn't seem to be a good decision. I might as well get a Sako if I go that high.

Not very happy right now. I might still get the T3 Lite, but wanted a heavy barrel.

Does Remington do anything different to the Sendero action compared to the 700 ? Watching videos of smiths accurizing the 700 action makes it clear that Remington does not even bother to cut the receiver threads using a threading tool in the lathe, even though the receiver starts off as a tube ??? Instead they use a tap which results in the threads being tapered and out of square. The the bolt engagement face is not square or flat (use of a worn "plunging tool" as opposed to a "proper cutting tool manipulated in 2 axis.) Its simply pitiful how something so simple just cannot be done properly in this age of $25k cnc lathes.

I get the impression that Remington is using equipment that is probably 30 or more years old (and now considerably more worn out) to make the 700 actions and they would benefit massively by re-tooling that line to use modern equipment that will build the quality back into the products. But, presumably, as long as people keep buying this sh**t, they will keep making it and change nothing.

WESTCLIFF- I compete out to 1000 yards with remingtons( that do not have "trued " actions). targets are very unforgiving. bring what you have and some money. GRIN. i think your characterization is inaccurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.