Bertram 33 Nosler Brass Initial Review

Rusty85

4BB13D1A-6AD4-430A-9BBC-7B8D8AC534F9.jpeg
I was able to get my hands on a few pieces of Bertram Brass in 33 Nosler (possibly the only few rounds in the states right now).
My rifle is still with Mike at Hell's Canyon waiting for a new tube but I thought I'd give some initial feedback and comparisons between Nosler and the Bertram. I was only able to get five rounds so this is a very small sampling but I thought it might still be helpful.
First off like all Bertram brass I've tried it is going to require a little prep compared to Nosler, which I'm ok with that as I normally do it if it needs it or not.
I opened up a new 25 round box of Nosler and grabbed five rounds out to keep the comparisons as close to the same as possible.
Next I setup my scales to do some weight comparisons and here were the results.

Nosler
Avg. = 208.12
ES= 1

Bertram
Avg. = 197.8
ES = 2.5

As I figured the Nosler's ES was lower but I was not expecting to see the Bertram come in at 10 gains under. Which I'm gotta say I'm excited about because that should mean more case capacity. Sorry I have no way of accurately measuring water capacity so I didn't try.
Now on to check the neck thickness and consistency. Both were very consistent, varied only .0005". With the Bertram at .014" and the Nosler at .016".

Overall I'm excited to try out the Bertram because I've found the Nosler to be a little soft for my liking. I can sort out the weight ES's as long as they're not to far off over a larger sampling. I'm sure that there are other comparisons I could do but I thought I'd keep it simple for now.

that is surprising that the Nosler is heavier usually it is the other way around. I am curious on case capacity between them. Bertram has always been heavier and lower capacity. with a little prep I have always had good luck with the Bertram brass

that is surprising that the Nosler is heavier usually it is the other way around. I am curious on case capacity between them. Bertram has always been heavier and lower capacity. with a little prep I have always had good luck with the Bertram brass

Yeah Bertram is normally one of the heavier in weight on tests I've done and I'm glad to see they're ES's are getting better. I just hope it holds up like other Bertram I've tried.

Last edited:
Bertram and ADG are both lighter than Nosler in the case of 30 nosler as well, in my experience anyways, thinner neck walls too.

Been waiting on a couple cases to test myself, being that I am in snowmexico not sure if it will happen. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the nosler brass in case life. A guy can sort and prep brass till it every case is very close to exact, but you can't gain case head hardness or general case life, whatever the manuf made it to is what you have.

How about case neck thickness? Consistent?

Neck thickness ran .014" on all five that I have and I measured in three or four spots on every case. I'd say it's very consistent for a five case test anyway.

Thats pretty decent, will be interesting to see what kind of numbers I get, could make it more of a ten case test.

I would like to run a case to failure and see how the case head holds up. Nosler brass is fairly soft, if it can take the pressure and last a bit longer its worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.