Bertram Brass 28 Nosler Review

If you take the extreme spread and divide by the median case weight your extreme spread as a % of weight is about 2.3% not bench rest but probably not anything a hunting rifle would be able to tell the difference. I dont think im going to start sorting brass for hunting especially when they are shooting tight at the ranges I test and hunt at.
Also when I was prepping my Bertram I had some laying on my bench and in the bright sunlight i could see the top half were definatly a darker color showing an anneal line.
I have fired about 50 rounds of the Bertram 28 Nos. and so far it is working just fine. One nice thing is one of my 28's I have been shooting 162 gr because I couldnt get over 2950 fps with 180 gr bullets without heavy bolt lift and ejector marks using Nosler brass. today with the Bertram I worked up to 3082 fps with Berger 180's no sign of pressure and right at 1 moa and ES of 13
On exact same loads with both brands of brass 162's accuracy was very close- both sub .5 moa.

Nice to hear the Bertram Brass is going well. I'm currently in the middle of a custom build in 28 Nosler and have stocked up on some Berger 195 eol pills and picked up some brass off Bruce Bertram as well.

I get subMOA out of this brass. Weight spreads do not affect performance. The thin brass around the neck is however in fact annoying and good for maybe 3 reloads in my 375 RUM. There is a bigger issue than brass weight... what that added or reduced weight represents...

What I hate it the primer pockets and unless you prep them and try and seat primers they "ratchet" in. Primer moves, stops, you need to apply more pressure then they seat.

Also I do not know about you all found but worse than brass weight or thin necks is the fact there is a .004 to .006" variance in primer seating depth and that translates to failure to fire! Really stupid move on Bartrams part to have this liability. Can you imagine loading up for an African Hunt and you are going after the BIG 5 and have the **** "click" sound .... dejavu The Ghost and the Darkness.

If brass ever failed me like that it does not belong in my gun!

Now...... beside forming 404 Jeffrey Brass to 375 RUM.... where in the hell can I find better brass?

ADG makes 338 and 300 rum. Not familiar with 375 RUM and which parent case it's off of, but I would assume you could neck up one or the other.

ADG makes 338 and 300 rum. Not familiar with 375 RUM and which parent case it's off of, but I would assume you could neck up one or the other.

Yeah I can neck up 300 RUM but it ends up with a short neck and never expands. Short necks on a 375 RUM kills potential of accuracy. I will see if they have any 404 Jeffrey Cases.... more involved but should work well

I don't have first hand experience with Bertram. I've been eyeing some for my 7 Mag so I dug a little deeper. From what I can tell it compares with Hornady. Over on the Long Range Hunting forum a couple guys give it 3.5 of 5 stars with issues in weight variation. Being that 28 Nosler is next to impossible to get you might want to buy 100 pieces just to be able to shoot.

I understand the tracking number issue. We have the same thing with our website. We use FedEx software that calculates the shipping charges based on the customer location but that is as far as it goes. Even though we are using an expensive system it is still labor intensive. You would think that these shipping programs would be able to offer tracking numbers and create shipping labels but they do not. The website will generate order notifications but there is no communication between the shipping company and the website. Kinda stinks.

Steve
Steve, Contact your UPS rep and get a demo of Worldship. Free if you ship enough. No idea how much it is if you don't. But, it has what you seek, including integration. Sorry guys for the Hijack, now back to your regularly tuned forum.

Steve, Contact your UPS rep and get a demo of Worldship. Free if you ship enough. No idea how much it is if you don't. But, it has what you seek, including integration. Sorry guys for the Hijack, now back to your regularly tuned forum.
We have contacted UPS. They have said they will get back to us. We did express our concerns that as a company they seem to be anti gun. They have never gotten back to us. Guess that answers that!

Back to the brass!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.