28 nosler brass

tbrice23

Where are you guys buying your 28 Nosler brass?
I can't find Norma 28 Nosler brass anywhere.

For my 26 Nosler I found Norma brand brass a bit cheaper than Nosler brand. 225 pieces had a 2 grain E.S.
Otherwise I'm considering just necking up Norma 26 Nosler brass to 28, from what I've researched it should be a straight forward operation since the bodys are similar dimentions.
Anyone see a problem with this?

Keep an eye on Midway. They have regularly been putting loaded ammo on sale/clearance at prices cheaper than empty prass prices.

I was getting 28 Nosler ammo for about $35 a box.

Posted this a few weeks ago on another thread a few pages back.

I couldn't find any. I would stay away from buying once fired brass. I bought some from a reputable gun smith who loads roads for his customs and they were loaded so hot on once fired brass they had 9 thou web expansion and primers fell out. I bought 26 nosler Norma brass and a Redding expander ball and neck up. You can get 100 of them for about $200. Be careful on neck tension as brass has memory and after I annealed I had to run a quick pass over the expander ball again to have consistent neck tension. Another thing to keep in mind is neck thickness will be different if your using a bushing die.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Is there any way you could give me a measurement of the neck wall thickness after necking up?
I don't know if you have access to a ball and anvil micrometer.?

.020" is a jump.

Not already !!!!! I figured it would take a few years but never dreamed it would happen this soon, shortages !! Best decision I ever made, I'll sacrifice the 150 fps and insanity and keep my old warrior !

Not already !!!!! I figured it would take a few years but never dreamed it would happen this soon, shortages !! Best decision I ever made, I'll sacrifice the 150 fps and insanity and keep my old warrior !

I don't know what make the 28 bring out he troll in guys but obviously you don't realize 28 brass is every where from Nosler but the secondary sources are not out there yet that's all, they'll come in due time!

With the price on Midway there is no way I'd be necking up 26 brass, excellent way to get donuts going!

Is there any way you could give me a measurement of the neck wall thickness after necking up?
I don't know if you have access to a ball and anvil micrometer.?

.020" is a jump.

I could use my micrometers. It is thinner. I have had excellent results doing this. Haven't see any donuts. I still have 1 thou neck tension. Es of 6 over 10 shots. 26 brass necked up was 14 thou side wall. 28 nosler brass was 17 thou side wall.

Thanks, that sounds right.
My virgin 26 nosler brass had too much neck tention until I annealed them.

Once I necked up and annealed I still had a little more neck tension then I wanted. Ran it over the Redding carbide expander ball for a quick pass and that's all it took.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.