Berger Bullets

Cinchy

I am curious on deer size game how much damage the Berger hunting line of bullets will actually do? I shoot 264, 300 wing mags. I am also thinking about trying them in my 338 win mag for a coming black bear hunt? I would like true life experiences please! I have read some rave reviews, & some not so good?

I shot a big mule deer buck this year 1131yards 6.5 284 140 VLD punched right through both sides buck dropped in his tracks. My wife shot a cow elk at 300 yards yesterday these bullets preformed like they should elk flopped over . These bullets so far seem to be flawless for me, but well placed shots any bullet should do the job , and I had really good luck with NAB but the Bergers seem to be as good in performance so Berger for now.

I dont know what u want to hear but here goes, I've used 140 grn berger vld hunting in 7mm rm for 10 years never had to track one yet, I'm talking white tails or yotes, most of my kills was in the 2 to 300 yds range with entrance of a quarter and exit of half dollar, 2 years back while slipping to my stand I had a 140in class buck chasing a doe, run at me till he saw me at 35yds I shot him behind right shoulder, with a bullet exit on left shoulder, and had dime size hole, with brusing, or blood shot area the size of my cap, again, no tracking!

Only hunting bullet I use. Been using them for nearly 10 yrs deer, elk, hogs, coyotes.
Funny thing is Berger,s are no different than any others Shot placement is still required some guys think certain bullets will make up for poor shot placement (in my opinion why some of the bad reviews are written).

Shot placement is a given! I was mainly concerned about how much damage they would do to the meat? If the exit holes are like you all mention I`d say that its really no more of a problem than any other quality bullet?

C, you will find many opinions on the Berger Hunting bullet, however the vast majority are glowing on their performance. Shot placement is paramount regardless. Personally I've shot or witnessed javelina to elk size game shot with the Berger from 60 to 500 yards with no tracking needed. Hit in the heart/lung they are DRT with no meat damage and I've never witnessed a pass through. The hybrids perform very well also from reports of those who use them. Read the link for a comprehensive testing of the Berger. Good luck

Shot placement is a given! I was mainly concerned about how much damage they would do to the meat? If the exit holes are like you all mention I`d say that its really no more of a problem than any other quality bullet?

If you hit a deer/elk in the *** you're going to have a tremendous amount of meat damage due to the Berger performance where they penetrate and then fragment - same with front shoulder. If you hit them right in the crease behind front shoulder you won't loose an ounce of meat and they don't go far and you'll find the insides lungs/heart are jello. Since shooting the Berger's I have went to 100% using the gutless method and debone due to the fact that I don't need to deal with a wheel barrel full of lungs/heart that are pure bloody soup.

I am curious on deer size game how much damage the Berger hunting line of bullets will actually do? I shoot 264, 300 wing mags. I am also thinking about trying them in my 338 win mag for a coming black bear hunt? I would like true life experiences please! I have read some rave reviews, & some not so good?
Clinchy,
Go to the Berger website and click on SUCCESS STORIES for more information on results. The .338 Elite Hunter should work just fine on Black Bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.