Berger 6.5 140 HVLD vs EH - real world, observable differences

The Oregonian

Think I am going to take the plunge on a 6.5-284 and go full custom. I say that only to say that a little extra money or convenience Is not going to impact my decision on the gun, or any other aspect. So if 140 EH 's are harder to find then that is fine with me. It'll take time with the rifle being built so I can wait them out, and I have Retumbo I could trade if needed. So I can find them by the time the rifle is done.

With all of that out of the way, is there any real difference in the 140 EH and HVLD? I use the HVLD's in a 6.5cr and have zero complaints, so I'm not looking to change just to change. And I'm not changing that load bc it is capable of outshooting me.

But for a 6.5-284, I have no load so I am starting from scratch. Yes, I will let the rifle tell me which bullet it likes but this would be a starting point, and if the desired bullet comes up in throating discussions I at least want to have a primary bullet. That said, I'm not sure if there is enough difference between the two for a different freebore.

My understanding is that the EH is designed to be less sensitive to seating depths and is where Berger is heading with new bullet design. So the TL:DR question is is there any real world difference between the two, from those that have used both? I have only used the HVLD and love them but curious about the EH's.

Have used both and found that most of the time (not always) the VLD shot best either close to the lands or way off. The EH were not as sensitive to seating depth. I love them both so stick with whichever you have on hand. Both are super accurate and awesome hunting bullets.

Not, the 6.5 but,..
My .270 WSM @ 3,185 FPS, with the 140 gr. Classic Hunter, Bergers, passed thru, BOTH Shoulder Blades ( and, a Lot of Meat, in between ) on an Elk with, the base of Bullet, caught up, in His Hair on, the far of, hide ( Insides, Jello ) Range, 110 Yds.
One TOUGH, but, Explosive Bullet ! Surprisingly, very Little, "Blood shot", meat !
KaPow,.. Hooves in the Air ! Bought, a bunch, more as, I'm NOT looking to, ever change Bullets for this, Elk / Moose, Rifle.
Mag Length, in my Tikka, "Jumping" .105, Accuracy ? Usually, 1/2 MOA out of my Tikka and 3/4 MOA on, My "Bad Days" !
Wanted to try, the 6.5 Elite's, in my 6.5 Creed but, couldn't find Enough of them, to get, "serious", with !

Last edited:
I have used both on several game animals.
I saw no discernable difference in performance on game.
The VLDs were a bit more sensitive to seating depth, but once I found it, they never seemed to go out of tune. In 2800 rounds of 6.5SLR or 800+ of 6.5SS.

That being said, I have gone to a 140 Hyb and 130 Hyb in my rifles now. The Hybs have a touch thicker jacket, and really hold up well to higher velocities, but still work really well at 1800fps.

The 156s bring bigger cased 6.5mm cartridges into a new level of lethal if you can push them hard enough to overcome the added velocity of the 140s. Especially at longer ranges. They are an Elite design too, which is basically a Hybrid shape with the jacket thickness of the Hunting lines.