Berger 30 cal bullets

freebird63

Does anyone have any additional info on the differences between the 30 cal 185gr classic hunter bullet and the 30 cal 180 gr elite hunter bullet?
I shoot a 300 RUM with a factory 1-10 twist barrel. I generally don't like to go below a 200gr bullet in my RUM.
Thanks for any info

What info do you need to know?

They are both Hybrids, but the Classic Hunter is designed more like a rounded tangent ogive (traditional style boat tail bullet, like a Nosler Ballistic Tip), and the Elite Hunter is more of a VLD-style Hybrid with a sharper secant ogive to increase BC for reduced drag during longer range shots.

Personally, I'd go with the 215 Hybrid for your rifle, since you have a 1:10 twist.

Of the 2 you previously asked about, I'd jump to the 180 Elite Hunters.

And for any Berger bullet you choose, I recommend setting your seating depth at 0.015" off the lands, and adjusting your powder charge for your load workups.

Classic Hunters, due to their hybrid shape, tend to be significantly less seating depth sensitive. They also have a very good BC. This is good news for guns with a long throat or a short magazine. You can often just seat them at about .070" jump, work up a load and go hunting.

I have to agree with the 215 hybrid comment. I believe they can be had with decent accuracy loaded to mag length. I used to run the 230 hybrid at 3.94 length but it was a single shot due to that. The RUM will shoot those 215s with retumbo faster than published velocity. 3150 is not a problem with a 26 inch barrel.

With the 230's I had been using 88gr of VV N570, got really great groups at 100 yards. Then moved out to 400 yards and they opened up to 5-6 inches.
Guess I will get some 215's today. My muley hunt starts November 1st and have to get something to shoot out to 400 yards, I don't feel comfortable beyond that on an animal. I have plenty of retumbo powder.

With the 230's I had been using 88gr of VV N570, got really great groups at 100 yards. Then moved out to 400 yards and they opened up to 5-6 inches.
Guess I will get some 215's today. My muley hunt starts November 1st and have to get something to shoot out to 400 yards, I don't feel comfortable beyond that on an animal. I have plenty of retumbo powder.
Was it vertical or horizontal spread? What was your ES on that load?

Pick a bullet and stay with it until you prove it will NOT work(most likely won't happen). I would suggest doing a ladder at 400 yards or an OCW at 100. This will give you a stable load for any condition you should encounter. I personally would use the 230 0r 215.

I don't have a chrono. The spread kinda looked like an inverted V
I would highly recommend getting a chrono. A few small tweaks may get your ES to an acceptable level and that should take care of a good majority of the vertical you're seeing. The rest is most likely wind. You won't really see any of that at 100.

I have had good shooting loads at 100 yds fall apart at 500 m where I test them. Twice when this happened it was the rifle and not the load. I like to shoot with a short harris bipod from the bench because I will be using a larger bipod in the field. I discovered that the barrel channels in those two suspect rifles needed to have the barrel channel opened up a bit more. Just saying it might be your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.