Berger 243 90 GR HVLD Question

rhouser

I just finished the barrel break in on my 2nd rebuild of the year. I am shooting a Bartlein 5R 26" 1:9 twist 243AI (Ackley design reamer) throated for the 95gr Berger VLD-H. I have a bunch of new Lapua Brass, but, don't really want to waste the shots just fire forming the brass.

Two questions:

1. Does anybody have a good crossover fire forming load? I can work one out, but, I have learned to ask for advice for staring points. I will fire form out to 400 yards if I can get an accurate forming load.

2. With fire formed cases is anybody getting 3300 FPS out of a 26" 9 TW 243 AI barrel? I only ask this because I have a ballistics chart matchup on a Z800 reticle at this velocity?

thanks in advance
rch

Last edited:
Ok, I get it. Nobody has a clue.

For anybody who is interested, I will have to do my workup using the berger 95 gr vld target (24427) because I can't find the hunting version right now, but, I will post an answer within the week. I will be using Lapua fire formed once fired brass, and will probably start with W760 (H414 equivalent). I have a lot of depth in my powder choices due to feeding my 300 Rum so I can slide slower if needed.

If you want to know if a Berger 95 VLD can reach 3300 FPS in a 26" 1:9 5R Bartlein, stay tuned.

thanks to all who make the forum great.

rch

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.