Question about 300 RUM and 210 gr Berger

Korhil78

I am loading up some 210 gr Bergers for a winchester model 70 in 300 RUM. The problem that I am looking at is that the measurement to the lands is 3.850. The magazine length is 3.595. If I load these rounds to the magazine that will make it a .255 jump to the lands! That seems like a lot to me for Bergers. Question is, should I even bother working up test loads at mag length with this gun with that kind of jump?

It is called single shot rifle. You don't want to spend all the time to make the bullet perfect and then have the recoil bend the nose of the next bullets in the mag.

Target or game shooting you are not in a hurry for a second shot unless its a flock coming to land near your decoys

It's certainly worth a try. I've had several bullets shoot quite well even though they were loaded questionably far (.250"+) off the rifling.

Another thought:
In most rifles you can put one excessively long cartridge in the magazine because it sits so high in the magazine lips that the bullet tip rests above the feed ramp and isn't really in the box. This gives you at least a two shot rifle, one in the chamber and another in the very top of the mag.

I've done this with many rifles and it works fine. I can't recall many occasions when I needed more than two rapid shots when hunting.

They shot good from my 30-378 accumark with freebore. The 30-378 and the 300 Rum both have freebore and many shoot the Bergers well. I would load a few and give it a try.

Also, the new 230 Hybrid would be a great one to try as well. The Hybrid o-give is said to be less sensitive to seating depth.

Jeff

Glad that I tried it. 92.5 gr of Retumbo shot 1/2" group. Was a mild load as well so I am going to push it up to 94gr from 92.5 in .5 gr increments and see what it does. If the accuracy isn't the same or better then 92.5 it will be! Thanks for the help. I was gonna shoot them but just wanted reassurance haha!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.