Berger 230gr OTM for hunting?

effendude

Has anyone used the 230 OTM for hunting yet? The new barrel on my 300 RUM loves these bullets running right at 3000fps. I drew a Kodiak bear tag and would love to use this rifle instead of my heavier caliber rifles.
Scott

4xforfun

I hope this isn't a hyjack, but all of the reply's since forever have been on the 230 Match Hybrid OTM tactical bullits. Anyone test the 230 Match Hybrid Target on game? Maybe a comparo of the two.

MMERSS

I hope this isn't a hyjack, but all of the reply's since forever have been on the 230 Match Hybrid OTM tactical bullits. Anyone test the 230 Match Hybrid Target on game? Maybe a comparo of the two.

I found no significant difference between the two on game. The Hybrid worked well this year on an antelope, deer, and a sheep. No complaints at all. All three animals had both lungs destroyed along with punctures in the heart. One of the amimals was taken just over 200 yards, showing they can expand exceptionally well both short and long.

Oh, sorry, I see you wanted testing results. These hunts were not for testing, they were for quick killing!:D

rwest

Hybrid target worked well on deer this past season liquefied a deer's chest cavity at 352 yards which some may call close range.

Doublezranch

Here is a picture of a goat that I shot in WY last year with a 230 target. Estimated range was 200 or so yards. Here's a picture of the internals. Pencil hole going in, a one inch hole coming out. All the energy of the bullet was dispersed into the animal and turned what was not pictured here into gelatinous fluid. Lungs and heart where destroyed. The 2 pics are the heart by itself, and the heart and lungs. I don't hesitate pulling the trigger with a 230 target blowing out the end of the tube.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 152

Doublezranch

I did shoot the 230 OTM one season on deer. The deer was quartering to me at 300. I shot her right in front of the shoulder and exited the other side just around the last three ribs. She jumped, ran a 100 yards and fell over. When I marched up there it looked like a CSI crime scene. A pencil going in, and a massive 3 inch hole at the exit. Last 3 ribs were nonexistent. In the 100 yard sprint, she lost every drop of blood that deer had. Crazy...
This was just my experience. I know Broz has done very well with this bullet. His success certainly doesn't surprise me. He studied this bullet and has done extensive testing. He was the one that started my 230 Berger addiction. :D

CogburnR

I managed to hit an elk in the neck with one at 200 yards. Did not exit and penetration was limited. I'm not sure I would try one on a bear that might eat me.

I think they are great for broadside lung shots but anything that requires penetration I would go to a different bullet especially at closer ranges.

Recent Posts