Berger 195 eols seating depths.

I have run them .100 off in order to fit in the SA magazine and they still shoot great. Must have at least a 1:8 twist in my experience. Tried 2 different 1:9 7 rem mag and could not get them to group. Both 1:8 rifles I worked with would group the 195s no matter what seating depth I used. If I were to build a 7mm rifle for myself would use a 1:8 twist for sure. My grandson shot a bull with that bullet last season at 300 yards and it passed through the shoulder and exited the ribs. Did exactly what it was suppose to.

My experience has been different regarding twist. I have had excellent results to 1k yds with an 8.24 twist proof barrel and 8.5 twist bartlein. Buddy has had very good results with a bartlein 8.7 twist to 1K. This is 500 ft above sea level.

My experience has been different regarding twist. I have had excellent results to 1k yds with an 8.24 twist proof barrel and 8.5 twist bartlein. Buddy has had very good results with a bartlein 8.7 twist to 1K. This is 500 ft above sea level.
What seat depth?

In my experience when you are borderline on twist, you pay for it somewhere. You may have it tuned for a 1000, but whats your 500 group look like, or vice versa?

In my experience when you are borderline on twist, you pay for it somewhere. You may have it tuned for a 1000, but whats your 500 group look like, or vice versa?

Absolutely no problem with group size at any distance. Both rifles will hold half minute to 1K and any distance in between. Load development was done 100, verified at 440 with multiple 2" groups and the best I ever shot at 1K was right at 3" with many groups in the 5"-6" range with very minimal vertical. These rifles are 7saum's built on long actions running Norma brass and H1000 powder with a mv of 2800 to 2830 depending on rifle.

Not asking about yours particularly Crowe...we played with a 9.5 twist and 180s is what I was referring to. Loading to the slower node helped that rifle, but still not enough twist.

Absolutely no problem with group size at any distance. Both rifles will hold half minute to 1K and any distance in between. Load development was done 100, verified at 440 with multiple 2" groups and the best I ever shot at 1K was right at 3" with many groups in the 5"-6" range with very minimal vertical. These rifles are 7saum's built on long actions running Norma brass and H1000 powder with a mv of 2800 to 2830 depending on rifle.[/QUOTE

Not asking about yours particularly Crowe...we played with a 9.5 twist and 180s is what I was referring to. Loading to the slower node helped that rifle, but still not enough twist.

Well....I guess you should not have quoted me then then phrased what you wanted to talk about with a question.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.