195 Bergers and Vihtavuroi N570

Give Tim or Allan at McWhorter a call. I know he's built one or two with N570. Getting around 3025 fps with 1:8 barrel. I'm happy with my 180gr so I haven't asked him any specifics. Sorry I'm not more help.

I was able to do my first round of testing today. Limited time so I only shot three 3 shot groups. Of the three the best grouping was half moa at an average of 3021 fps. That was using nosler brass, fed 215 primers and 81 grains of Vihtavuori N570. Zero pressure signs so I'll work up a little higher next weekend. My rig is a custom 7mm STW with a 26" tube.

Was just getting ready to start the same thread when I came across this. Just picked up my new 7STW custom yesterday. 26" Proof Research with 1:8" twist built on Rem 700 action. I have 195's/N570 I want to try. Has anyone else used this combo? Would you mind telling me how far off the lands you were when you started your load?

Thanks,

Marcus

Was just getting ready to start the same thread when I came across this. Just picked up my new 7STW custom yesterday. 26" Proof Research with 1:8" twist built on Rem 700 action. I have 195's/N570 I want to try. Has anyone else used this combo? Would you mind telling me how far off the lands you were when you started your load?

Thanks,

Marcus

I started at 79.5 gr of VV N570 and went up to 85 gr before first signs of pressure. My rifle likes 84 gr so far (26" tube). I will be tweaking it now to find the sweet spot but right now I'm .020 off the lands.

I'm running rl33 with my 195's. just fine and dandy....

Lefty, what's your load recipe and what are you seeing for groups, velocity, and pressure? I like RL33 with my 180's and I have two boxes of the 195's. My rifle likes .050" off the lands.

Are you running 1:8 twist? Mine's a 1:9 but I'm at high altitude so I'd like to try it out and see if they'll stabilize.

Thanks!

Coop

Just started this combo with a LRR 28 Nosler Brux 26", 1 in 8.5" , similar in capacity to the STW.

Started at 78 grains .010 off. Worked up to 80 grains in .5 increments. No pressure signs yet. 3/8" group at 79.5 grains.

Didn't chrony it yet. I will finish my ladder test then tweek seating depth.

Just started this combo with a LRR 28 Nosler Brux 26", 1 in 8.5" , similar in capacity to the STW.

Started at 78 grains .010 off. Worked up to 80 grains in .5 increments. No pressure signs yet. 3/8" group at 79.5 grains.

Didn't chrony it yet. I will finish my ladder test then tweek seating depth.

That sounds about right - I found that lefty found some "love" at 79 grains RL33 with his new stick at the back of the reloading thread. I'll probably start at 77 and work up. Let us know where you hit pressure and what your velocity numbers look like. I'm guessing 2950 - 3000 is where the STW will top out with this bullet with a little headroom for environmental changes that could raise pressure. Apologize to the OP for the RL-33 hijack. I'd try N570 but I have NEVER even seen it available and I check a LOT!!! I'm very pleased with RL 33 and the availability of 33 makes sense to stick with it.

Thanks!

DC

Lefty, what's your load recipe and what are you seeing for groups, velocity, and pressure? I like RL33 with my 180's and I have two boxes of the 195's. My rifle likes .050" off the lands.

Are you running 1:8 twist? Mine's a 1:9 but I'm at high altitude so I'd like to try it out and see if they'll stabilize.

Thanks!

Coop

80 rl33 in rp brass lit by a 215... in my 8" twist 27" shilen select match barrled 7stw... I'm getting 2960 fps and 1/2 moa accuracy. I'm right at 3.9" oal... I should be in the .070" jump range...

Ok so I need some help now. I have worked loads all the way up to 85 grains of VVN570 with no pressure signs but the best accuracy was around 82.5 grains. (All of these loads were loaded to Mag length) The grouping was not great so I figured I'd do the Berger seating depth test. Loaded up 24 rounds per the directions and started with the shortest COAL. I figured I'd start with more jump than less in case there was a pressure spike. Glad I did. The first round was fine. the next round had a pretty stout bolt lift. Against my better judgement I decided to fire one more and it blew the primer out. Why such a pressure spike when I decreased the charge and loaded the bullet longer? I was shooting 0.13 off the lands. I'm guessing that I need more jump?? I thought that with the bullets being loaded longer the pressure would be reduced even at the same charge....

That is actually the opposite...The farther into the lans the sooner pressure will be experienced.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.