Berger 180 gr Hybrid target vs 180 gr VLD

Both work well and I don't think you'll notice any real terminal difference. I'm my experience with the 7mag the hybrids were easier to load for and not as sensitive to seating depth and the vlds I was able to load shorter for a coal with one of the model 70s I loaded for.

In my experience the 180 VLDH opens more aggressively and consistently, they flat out wreck stuff.
I did some lower velocity (1850 fps) impact testing with both bullets at 1000 yards, about 1 in 3 of the hybrids failed to expand, and every single vldh opened up perfectly.
Definitely keep impact velocity above 1900 fps or aim for the shoulder with hybrids.

I really don't think you or your quarry will notice the difference. Some say the Hybrid is easier to load for & perhaps they're right. My 7 SAUM loves the HVLD & I developed a load with H1000 @2912fps that will shoot inside 1/2moa very quickly with no fuss. Pick which ever one that tickles your fancy & roll with it.

PS- perhaps it would be better to pick which ever one you can actually find. I've struggled a bit to find the HVLDs. Hybrids have been available more often... at least when i'm looking.

t

Just curious on peoples thoughts between the 180 hybrid and the 180 hunting VLD for elk. My velocity is between 3050 and 3150.
I've shot and used both in my 28 Nosler and the 4 elk 2 dear and one moose were all extremely dead. I don't use for dear after the 2 to much meat damage.