Berger 168 classic hunter in .30 Caliber

mobenzowner

Found a very good deal on these and bought 3 boxes for use in a Browning X-bolt 308 Win. Anyone else using these? What kind of accuracy and game performance you getting with them. Also any load advice appreciated and will say I know the disclaimers, Start low work up, all guns are different etc. Thanks in advance.

I put together a very accurate load for two Rem 700 SA 24" barrel for friends.

The classic hunter is a hybrid so seating depth is usually not an issue.

45.5 gr of Varget (nosler says 46 gr is max) fed 210M once fired fed brass sized in RCBS 308 die with new sizer ball. Seated as long as possible to fit and feed from magazine not contacting lands. 168 Berger classic hunting hybrid 2700 fps

Other rifle was downloaded for less recoil and paper punching etc.
42 gr of Varget 168 Berger. Seated as long as possible to fit and feed from magazine not contacting lands. Vel 2505 fps @ 70 degrees

Neither rifle ever shot any game. I have had reports of the 7mm 168 classic hunter doing well on deer and elk. I can't imagine there would be much difference with the 30 cal version.

AZShooter - thanks for your reply. I load the classic hunters in 95gr for the .243 and found those to be rather insensitive to jump, so it's good to hear the same on the 168's. I have Varget and will also begin development with that powder. All my hunting shots currently are 200yds or under, so I will concentrate around the 42.0 - 43.5 of varget.

I have a .308 shooting the classic Hunter and have taken several whitetail with it. Performed exactly as it should at ranges from 50-375yds. I'm loading them over varget. I would have to look to tell you exactly how much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.