Berger Classic Hunter 7mm Rem Mag 168 Load Data

WillyD865

New to the forum and reloading. Just purchased some of the Berger Classic Hunter 7mm Rem Mag 168grain bullets to develop a load out of my Sako A7 Roughtech Pro. I have a buddy who is going to help get me started. Just wondering if anybody had any recommended loads for getting started. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Seems like I keep hearing praise out of Retumbo and H1000 powders. I'm going to be using this bullet mainly for Whitetail and occasionally out west for Mule Deer.

My two friends and I used 71-73 gr of Retumbo with the Berger 168 classic hunter. Brass was Rem or Win. Fed 215 primer.

my rifle's details:

168 Berger Classic Hunter Hybrid seated .010" into rifling. 73 gr of Retumbo Federal 215 match primer 3121 fps 26" barrel

The other two rifles did not have the bullet into the rifling. Can't tell you the distance. In both instances the bullet was seated to fit and feed from magazine. Never had to change the relationship to rifling, just worked up powder charge. This is quite common with the Berger hybrids.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Have you killed anything with the Classic Hunters or just shot them on paper? What kind of groups did you get with them?

Joe killed a cow elk two years ago at 75 yds or so. He said it was the fastest death he had ever had on an elk.

James killed an antelope close to 500 yds two years ago. All I remember was it took one shot.

I sold my 7 Rem mag before I did anything but put nice tight clusters in paper as the other two rifles did.

Currently I have a wildcat 7mm/375 Ruger shooting this bullet at 3268 fps. It is also quite accurate often having the bullets very close or touching at 100.

James has fired his rifle at our 500 meter ram at the range and I did the same with the 7 rem mag and the 7/375. All rifles shot as predicted by JBM and the G7 BC of .309

Here's some loads that I used this morning actually..

Capture_zpshd0knuk1.png

Bginvestor what kind of accuracy did you get out of each load?

Of course each gun is different, but a little below and little above 1 MOA depending on powder type.

I've measured much better groups with the HSM loads in past, so maybe something is up..

New to the forum and reloading. Just purchased some of the Berger Classic Hunter 7mm Rem Mag 168grain bullets to develop a load out of my Sako A7 Roughtech Pro. I have a buddy who is going to help get me started. Just wondering if anybody had any recommended loads for getting started. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Seems like I keep hearing praise out of Retumbo and H1000 powders. I'm going to be using this bullet mainly for Whitetail and occasionally out west for Mule Deer.
WillieD865,
If your friend has a BERGER reloading manual. Use the same reloading data as the 7mm 168 VLD.

I actually just got one today! I talked to a tech guy at Berger and he said exactly what you did about loading to the VLD data. So I ordered one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.