Berger 115 VLD in 6-284

Short Case

Any one try the Berger 115 VLD in there 6-284
If so what velocity are you getting and what barrel length are you using

Seeing no one is answering I will offer a couple of things I discovered with my 6mm-284. I didn't try the 115 Berger VLDs but did try the 115 DTACs. Have a 1 in 7.5 twist 28" 5R bartlein in 6mm-284, never got them to shoot. My friend bought the same barrel and chambered it for the 6mmSLR and IT wouldn't shoot the DTACs either. I am writing towards something bear with me....

I switched to the 107 Sierras and at least the rifle proved the rifle would shoot. Then the 105 Berger target Hybrids showed up. Did you know their BC is higher than the 115 VLD's? Load: 58 gr of Retumbo, 105 Berger target hybrid seated .065" off rifling vel 3307 fps.

THEN RL-33 came out! Worked up to 64grs as a safe load for vel of 3485 fps. That is an increase of 178 fps!!!

If you do decide to try a 115 VLD perhaps for better hunting perfomance you could give RL-33 a try. Start with mid range or slightly higher Retumbo load data and work up. Bet you'll gain some velocity.

IMHO I'd go with the 105 hybrid with its slightly higher BC and greater velocity.

Yea, 30" PacNor 1:8

Depending on conditions I get the best results between 3370-3400 fps with Ramshot Mag and Fed M primers with about a 10 thou jump

Went hotter in ladder tests, but the spread was too high above 3420 or so....

BTW--115 DTACs are my best target loads, but only because I keep my 117s for hunting....

I had much the same results. I did not try 115 Bergers but did try the 115 DTAC. The DTAC would shoot ok but nothing to write home about. The 105 Berger Hybrids really woke the accuracy up. I have 8 lbs. of old Winchester WMR which works very good along with Retumbo & RL33. I have not decided on a final load as both WMR & RL33 are neck n' neck. The velocities are close with the WMR clocking 3389 fps with the occasional ejector mark. The RL33 runs 3407 fps with no pressure signs at all. More testing is required for me to pick a final load.
Try several of the heavier bullets to see which one works the best. If you feel the need to buy powder I think that RL33 will turn out to be "THE" powder for the 6x284.

Thank you guys, I'm just starting to look at the Berger bullets
for hunting and I was think about the 115 for a long range round

Don

I had much the same results. I did not try 115 Bergers but did try the 115 DTAC. The DTAC would shoot ok but nothing to write home about. The 105 Berger Hybrids really woke the accuracy up. I have 8 lbs. of old Winchester WMR which works very good along with Retumbo & RL33. I have not decided on a final load as both WMR & RL33 are neck n' neck. The velocities are close with the WMR clocking 3389 fps with the occasional ejector mark. The RL33 runs 3407 fps with no pressure signs at all. More testing is required for me to pick a final load.
Try several of the heavier bullets to see which one works the best. If you feel the need to buy powder I think that RL33 will turn out to be "THE" powder for the 6x284.
What final load with the R33 105 did you come up with?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts