Bergara HMR vs Savage FCP-SR

jam66

Which one of these rifles in 308 is the better choice for a 500yd max rifle? Both have a 20" threaded barrel. Is one more accurate right out of the box? I can get the Savage for $300 cheaper.

I had the savage. Wasn't impressed with its grouping. I have one of their rifles in 243 and 338 lapua and both shoot great but the 308 was 1.2-1.7 moa groups and sometimes larger depending on ammo choice. Sold it and bought the ruger American Predator 308 and its sub moa all day and threaded barrel. Cant speak for the Bergara HMR in 308 but I have had a 30-06 and a 7mm of there's and bother were sub moa once I found the load they liked which is any rifle. They have decent barrels and actions were smooth. I've read on other forums that the savage did far better in a chassis than it did in the factory accustock. Some claimed half moa with chassis and hand loads but I wasn't going to put that much into a river rifle.

I've owned a few hmr rifles, still own one. They are superb. The actions are excellent, and I've never heard of one that wasn't a lights out shooter. Just make sure that stock is what you want.

I've owned several Savage rifles, and they are generally pretty accurate, and some are very accurate. I've never had the model that you are asking about. I would say that you should compare things like the stocks, the triggers, the actions. Assuming they will both shoot plenty well to be a good 500y rifle, the ergonomics and creature comforts will be what matters. I'd pick the bergara every time in this choice for myself, but you may feel differently after shouldering them both.

I have a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is accurate, sub MOA with factory and reloads, I purchased a Bergara B14 HMR in 7 mm Rem Mag for the Grandson graduation present this time last year, I developed a load for it and it was the easiest to setup, shot half MOA with no problems. I think they are the best factory rifle you can buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts