Bergara HMR vs. HMR Pro

wilkup

Well, I visited Cabela's a few days ago for boots and couldn't stay away from the gun counter - I know I have a problem. Been hearing a lot about this company, saw the HMR sitting on the rack, and decided to see what all the fuss is about. Big mistake! I almost talked myself into a new rifle in 308 before finding the strength to leave, but I have done quite a bit of research on the HMR the past few days and I'm seriously considering one now.
Before making a new rifle purchase, I'd like to know if the Pro is worth the extra cash. Anybody own/shot both? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I have the HMR in a 6.5 Creedmoor. I love to shoot it. After break in I loaded up 7 different powder charges 3 rounds each. 4 of the 7 charges shot into one hole. The other 3 were less than .5".
I doubt you could go wrong with either rifle.

I have the HMR in a 6.5 Creedmoor. I love to shoot it. After break in I loaded up 7 different powder charges 3 rounds each. 4 of the 7 charges shot into one hole. The other 3 were less than .5".
I doubt you could go wrong with either rifle.
When you're saying one hole groups, are you meaning 1/4 MOA? What would you rate your experience level as a shooter?
That's a a hell of an endorsement for the HMR man!

Will echo what tmmcampbell said, I have an HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and it took very little effort to get that gun below 0.5MOA with handloads. Its a great rifle, Cabela's has them a touch high on price, I got a screaming deal on mine from Mile High, but even at the higher price in the box stores it is 100% worth it.

3 shot group below is .211" center to center at 100yds. It holds close to .4-.5" if I shoot 5 or more rounds. It shoots this well with or without my Dead Air Sandman-S on it.

HMR Group.jpg

upload_2019-2-8_17-1-13.jpeg

This is a 5 shot group after some bullet seating changes. I settled for .020 off the lands. I would consider myself an average shooter. Of course this is not representative of every group. But it is a rare day I don't have a one hole group or 2. Rarely am I over .5" for 3 shots and I do not remember shooting 3 that measured over 1". All at 100 yds. It is a heavy rifle to me. 13 ish pounds with bipod. It shoots well. My daughter (has better eyes than me) put her first 2 shots on a beer sized can rock at 1022 yards. She now claims it is her rifle.

Would I recommend one. Hell yes. Will they all shoot this way? I haven't heard of one not being accurate. I bet the pro shoots well too. I'm a Bergara fan.

My shooting buddy had an hmr, it's a nice rifle. We never achieved accuracy like others have with handloads. To be honest my friend was disappointed in the accuracy. I don't think he's shot it in like a year. But it's not too bad, we achieved a SubMOA load.
One thing I noted about the b14 action was I thought it had a terribly slow lock time. Felt like I was firing my ruger #1

I watched a few more videos last night and noticed some show a very tight bolt/action fit and others have some noticeable slop. Bolt slop bothers my OCD in a massive way, which is part of the reason I'm considering the Pro. Any experience with this?
I have also heard some are incredible shooters while occasionally someone gets one that's still MOA, but not on that "big hole level. Sorry your friend got one of those outliers.

I watched a few more videos last night and noticed some show a very tight bolt/action fit and others have some noticeable slop. Bolt slop bothers my OCD in a massive way, which is part of the reason I'm considering the Pro. Any experience with this?
I have also heard some are incredible shooters while occasionally someone gets one that's still MOA, but not on that "big hole level. Sorry your friend got one of those outliers.
Such is the nature of factory rifles.
They offer a lot at that price point regardless

Tolerances on the Premier action will no doubt be tighter than on the mass produced B14. It's essentially a mid tier custom action similar to a Stiller Tac-30. It also has the added benefit of being stainless, has a fluted bolt with floating bolt head, and the firing pin/bolt face are optimized for running small rifle primers without cratering/piercing. You also get 8/40 scope base screw holes.

If you have the extra $600 to spend on the gun, absolutely get the Pro, if nothing else because it will be a better action to build on once you burn out the factory tube.

If money is tight, get the B14 HMR and buy good glass. Their customer service is above and beyond outstanding if for whatever reason you get a dud.

I have the HMR Pro and absolutely love it. I don't have any pics, but when I initially sighted it in a 10 shot group was the size of a dime. Using factory match ammo. I have a RPR and the HMR Pro is a far better rifle in my opinion.

Tolerances on the Premier action will no doubt be tighter than on the mass produced B14. It's essentially a mid tier custom action similar to a Stiller Tac-30. It also has the added benefit of being stainless, has a fluted bolt with floating bolt head, and the firing pin/bolt face are optimized for running small rifle primers without cratering/piercing. You also get 8/40 scope base screw holes.

If you have the extra $600 to spend on the gun, absolutely get the Pro, if nothing else because it will be a better action to build on once you burn out the factory tube.

If money is tight, get the B14 HMR and buy good glass. Their customer service is above and beyond outstanding if for whatever reason you get a dud.
That's good to know about the TAC30 being of similar quality to the Pro. I have a blueprinted Model 7 that's got a sloppy bolt and it drives me batty :/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.