Bergara HMR vs. HMR Pro

View attachment 121473
This is a 5 shot group after some bullet seating changes. I settled for .020 off the lands. I would consider myself an average shooter. Of course this is not representative of every group. But it is a rare day I don't have a one hole group or 2. Rarely am I over .5" for 3 shots and I do not remember shooting 3 that measured over 1". All at 100 yds. It is a heavy rifle to me. 13 ish pounds with bipod. It shoots well. My daughter (has better eyes than me) put her first 2 shots on a beer sized can rock at 1022 yards. She now claims it is her rifle.

Would I recommend one. Hell yes. Will they all shoot this way? I haven't heard of one not being accurate. I bet the pro shoots well too. I'm a Bergara fan.

tmmcampbell
What brass, powder, primer, and bullets are you reloading. I just picked up Bergara HMR 6.5 creedmoor and need to start developing rounds. My magazine will limit OAL and jump so how did you get .020 off. Are you single feeding?

That's good to know about the TAC30 being of similar quality to the Pro. I have a blueprinted Model 7 that's got a sloppy bolt and it drives me batty :/

I don't know about the TAC30, but the action on my HMR Pro is unbelievably smooth and slop free. Solid 1/2MOA gun (6.5 Cr), and often better (depending on me). I've had Tikka's (still have 1), multiple Rugers (from 77 to RPR), and multiple Remingtons, and the HMR Pro is far far superior to all of them in every respect. It has a pretty fast barrel, too; my 147 ELD handloads run 2800 with no pressure signs, and so does Hornady factory 140 ammo.

I have a friend who has a B14 Ridge in 6.5 Creed, and while the action is not as refined, and the stock has way to much drop at comb, it shoots almost about as good as mine does.

Well, I visited Cabela's a few days ago for boots and couldn't stay away from the gun counter - I know I have a problem. Been hearing a lot about this company, saw the HMR sitting on the rack, and decided to see what all the fuss is about. Big mistake! I almost talked myself into a new rifle in 308 before finding the strength to leave, but I have done quite a bit of research on the HMR the past few days and I'm seriously considering one now.
Before making a new rifle purchase, I'd like to know if the Pro is worth the extra cash. Anybody own/shot both? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I have the HMR Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor. Even though I have multiple custom rifles, the HMR pro is by far my favorite. Super smooth action and it shoots incredibly well. I beat the provided group of .512 (factory 140 ELD-M) by 1/4" probably because I was taking my time. I now have a 140 Berger EH at 2660 fps close to .2. One thing I did was call all over the country to find the tightest factory group because they provide a target. It probably means nothing but made me feel good. Do you really need the pro? Probably not, it just looks cool.

I have the premier approach in 6.5 I bought some hornady Eld match for to play with since I was too lazy to load and got a .41" four shot group @200yrds the action is far superior to the regular hmr action barrel has very little Cooper fouling and cleans very quickly! The accuracy isn't always that good my previous one was not quite as accurate it was barely sub moa.

I don't know about the TAC30, but the action on my HMR Pro is unbelievably smooth and slop free. Solid 1/2MOA gun (6.5 Cr), and often better (depending on me). I've had Tikka's (still have 1), multiple Rugers (from 77 to RPR), and multiple Remingtons, and the HMR Pro is far far superior to all of them in every respect. It has a pretty fast barrel, too; my 147 ELD handloads run 2800 with no pressure signs, and so does Hornady factory 140 ammo.

I have a friend who has a B14 Ridge in 6.5 Creed, and while the action is not as refined, and the stock has way to much drop at comb, it shoots almost about as good as mine does.
I've owned Tikka, Remington, Savage, Howa, along with a Fierce action I built off. The Tikkas were all tight and smooth, I also had a Rem 5r that was as solid as the Fierce. My current M7 is frustrating the hell out of me, so I'm happy to hear you think so highly of the Bergaras. I think a Pro may be in my future!

Last edited:
I've owned Tikka, Remington, Savage, Howa, along with a Fierce action I built off. The Tikkas were all tight and smooth, I also had a Rem 5r that was as solid as the Fierce. My current M7 is frustrating the hell out of me, so I'm happy to hear you think so highly of the Bergaras. I think a Pro may be in my future!

Only experience was watching a 22 year old Texas AM Cadet kick the crap out of me at a PRS comp shooting his HMR pro in 6CM. He and his partner placed 3rd out of 80 teams.

What makes it superior? I'm not disagreeing, just curious why you feel this way.
Your rifle sounds like an awesome shooter!
The feel of it feels more like a custom compared to the standard one witch is more like a factory Remington little sloppy IMHO my brother in-law has had no complaints about the non premier series rifles he's got a couple I'm to much of s gun snob I guess. I prefer the premier series

View attachment 121473
This is a 5 shot group after some bullet seating changes. I settled for .020 off the lands. I would consider myself an average shooter. Of course this is not representative of every group. But it is a rare day I don't have a one hole group or 2. Rarely am I over .5" for 3 shots and I do not remember shooting 3 that measured over 1". All at 100 yds. It is a heavy rifle to me. 13 ish pounds with bipod. It shoots well. My daughter (has better eyes than me) put her first 2 shots on a beer sized can rock at 1022 yards. She now claims it is her rifle.

Would I recommend one. Hell yes. Will they all shoot this way? I haven't heard of one not being accurate. I bet the pro shoots well too. I'm a Bergara fan.

Are you single feeding to get .020 from the lands? I just purchased 6.5 HMR and measured to the lands and the end of the mag length is .090 from the lands. I have only put 5 rounds down the tube right now, but those were accurate using factory ammo. I also purchased the 7 mag in HMR as well and the Magazine on it will reach the lands, but found the sweet spot at .050 jump using H1000 and 168 HVLD Berger. It is producing .700 groups with 70 rounds down the tube right now and still developing a load for it.

Will echo what tmmcampbell said, I have an HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and it took very little effort to get that gun below 0.5MOA with handloads. Its a great rifle, Cabela's has them a touch high on price, I got a screaming deal on mine from Mile High, but even at the higher price in the box stores it is 100% worth it.

3 shot group below is .211" center to center at 100yds. It holds close to .4-.5" if I shoot 5 or more rounds. It shoots this well with or without my Dead Air Sandman-S on it.

View attachment 121447
Nice load, nice group, great rifle.

I'll throw on a hat here
In January, I bought a Bergara ridge, in 7-08. I now have about 200 bullets through it, it turned the corner at the 100 round mark, and hasn't shot over an inch with ANYTHINGive put through it since. I have some loads that are honest to God 1/4 minute loads, that repeat with ease. Barrel cleans like a dream, action is smooth as glass, no binding, ejects with authority, every time. Chamber and barrel are exceptional. I want to upgrade to the HMR stock though. This one is fine, I just love the HMR stock better. It's got a custom feel to it for sure, it's my baby now! I would/ will buy another, no question. Oh yeah, my trigger, out of the box, just over 2 lbs. No creep. If my gun is this good, the pro, must be a cream puff! It gets my nod. It's a Remington done right!🦌

Have a 6.5 CM in the HMR, wonderful rifle that shoots lights out with a number of loads. Since receiving this, everything else has pretty much taken a backseat.
I get the backseat part. I have others, but this Bergara is my pride and joy. Worth the $$$all day!

Next year I am going to purchase the 300 PRC, but thinking about either the HMR Pro or HMR Premier Ridgeback. The 7mag I purchased is for the Grandson Graduation gift, so that one will leave the house in May.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.