Benefits of freeboring

thaught

What are the benefits to free boring? I'm building a 6.5 PRC and a 30 Nosler and want to know if this is something I should do.
I know that it gives the shooter the ability to seat the bullets out further, but why does that matter?
What do you recommend for free bore lengths for the above cartridges?

It lets you get the bullet out of the powder column, important when you are trying to push bullets pretty fast. Freebore should be based on a desired bullet.

example.... I'm having a .300 WSM throated for 215 hybrids.

Freebore can be an issue if your going to run certain long we bullets tho, as you may not have enough room enough to load/feed them in your gun.

Like L2H said. Best to call jgs and tell them what you want to shoot. I setup my 30-28nos throat to fit the 215s at 3.650" perfect for neck and Mag length of Rem.

Basically, more powder, theoretically more repeatable neck tension (avoiding donut), thus more speed. Guaranteed that one of the guys here has built a rifle with the same fb you'll be wanting

.225 is about right for th 30 Nosler and 30-28 with the 215 Hybrid. I think the 6.5 PRC has 2 saami freebore lengths .130+ and .188 I believe. The .188 would work good on a med. or long action for the PRC. I think i heard reports of some of the Hornandy factory ammo jamming in the lands with the .133 freebore.
The correct amount of freebore also reduces some pressure and helps with some velocity increase.

Any gunsmith can Use a throat reamer to Set it up for the bullet of choice. Don't feel like you have to order a custom reamer

The reason to get the bullet up in the neck is not just for extra powder capacity. The neck/shoulder junction or the "doughnut" area as its called can be very problematic in regards to neck tension. Best bet is keep the shank of the bullet 1/2-2/3 of the way in the neck, it does not take much neck to hold a bullet. Down worry about burning the throat out and chasing the lands, the barrel will be toast before you run out of neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.