Bench gun build

thekid

Hello all, I'm wanting to build a gun for a little bench shooting. Nothing past 1000 yards on the regular. I have an old JC Higgins model 50 that I picked up for $100. It shoots decent but I think it would be a good platform for a re-barrel. First of all I was wondering if the commercial fn Mauser action used the same barrels as the large ring Mauser action? I'm thinking of going with a McGowen 28" #4 contour barrel. In 6.5-284 Norma with a 1 in 7.5 twist. They offer them in large ring Mauser but fn Mauser. If they don't I might move to a ruger m77 action or a 700 action. Any suggestions/ feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

First of all, it would help if you had a better idea of just what type of benchrest shooting you want to pursue. Just shooting from a bench and attempting to hit paper or steel at 1,000 yards can be a challenge by itself but it's a tad harder to shoot small groups at 1,000 yards. Sure you can use most of the hunting rifles available to shoot at paper at 1,000 yards but shooting it for small groups is a different game.

I have an old JC Higgins model 50 that I picked up for $100. It shoots decent but I think it would be a good platform for a re-barrel.

While an M98 Mauser might be a good candidate for rebarreling it might need some consideration as far as shooting at 1,000 yards. The M98 models usually have a slower lock time than the actions which are chosen for true benchrest shooting. It's also a little different loading a true controlled round feed action for single shooting at long range targets.

First of all I was wondering if the commercial fn Mauser action used the same barrels as the large ring Mauser action?

Basically yes. Commercial FN Mauser actions are large ring by design (1.400" diameter). Generically, different large ring barrels might fit your action as far as the thread form is concerned but the headspace may need to be adjusted.

I'm thinking of going with a McGowen 28" #4 contour barrel. In 6.5-284 Norma with a 1 in 7.5 twist. They offer them in large ring Mauser but fn Mauser.

The FN and the 'large ring Mauser' barrels are the same or very similar thing. But the #4 McGowen is usually considered to be a sporter hunting style barrel 0.650" at the muzzle, not a benchrest type barrel. But no one says you can't shoot it anyway then take it hunting. Your trigger choice will need some consideration as well.

I wouldn't waste time or money on a Ruger.

The Remington M700 is one of the most common used actions for many beginners getting into target shooting due to the overwhelming number of accessories and stocks available.

Enjoy the process!

:)

First of all I was wondering if the commercial fn Mauser action used the same barrels as the large ring Mauser action?
Affirmative, and a fine one at that. I agree it's not an action for BR competition, but assuming you're talking about target shooting in a general application it'd be fine- slap a Timney trigger in it, epoxy bed the action. Being of the "short-fat" case design, you may need to have a smith open up the feed rails on the receiver and do some tweaking as they were made for the .270/30-.06

As mentioned, you definitely want a heavier contour tube for target shooting- sporters don't have enough mass to absorb the heat, you'll need to open up the barrel channel in the stock.

First of all, it would help if you had a better idea of just what type of benchrest shooting you want to pursue. Just shooting from a bench and attempting to hit paper or steel at 1,000 yards can be a challenge by itself but it's a tad harder to shoot small groups at 1,000 yards. Sure you can use most of the hunting rifles available to shoot at paper at 1,000 yards but shooting it for small groups is a different game.

While an M98 Mauser might be a good candidate for rebarreling it might need some consideration as far as shooting at 1,000 yards. The M98 models usually have a slower lock time than the actions which are chosen for true benchrest shooting. It's also a little different loading a true controlled round feed action for single shooting at long range targets.

Basically yes. Commercial FN Mauser actions are large ring by design (1.400" diameter). Generically, different large ring barrels might fit your action as far as the thread form is concerned but the headspace may need to be adjusted.

The FN and the 'large ring Mauser' barrels are the same or very similar thing. But the #4 McGowen is usually considered to be a sporter hunting style barrel 0.650" at the muzzle, not a benchrest type barrel. But no one says you can't shoot it anyway then take it hunting. Your trigger choice will need some consideration as well.

I wouldn't waste time or money on a Ruger.

The Remington M700 is one of the most common used actions for many beginners getting into target shooting due to the overwhelming number of accessories and stocks available.

Enjoy the process!

:)
Thank you! The bench rest shooting I'm intending to do is just hit steel at 1000, like a silhouette target. Nothing crazy. Accurate, yes, but am I accurate enough to shoot good groups at 1000, no.

As far as the choice of barrels goes, I would like it to be light enough to throw on a pack for a day if I felt the urge. Just dipping my toes into distance shooting for now.

Much appreciated!

Affirmative, and a fine one at that. I agree it's not an action for BR competition, but assuming you're talking about target shooting in a general application it'd be fine- slap a Timney trigger in it, epoxy bed the action. Being of the "short-fat" case design, you may need to have a smith open up the feed rails on the receiver and do some tweaking as they were made for the .270/30-.06

As mentioned, you definitely want a heavier contour tube for target shooting- sporters don't have enough mass to absorb the heat, you'll need to open up the barrel channel in the

As mentioned, you definitely want a heavier contour tube for target shooting- sporters don't have enough mass to absorb the heat, you'll need to open up the barrel channel in the stock.
Thank you! Yes I definitely want the gun to feed smoothly. Yes I might consider going heavier, but would like it to still be manageable to carry for a day if I wanted to.

Thank you! Yes I definitely want the gun to feed smoothly. Yes I might consider going heavier, but would like it to still be manageable to carry for a day if I wanted to.
I guess it's more of a beginner distance gun more than a dedicated bench gun for competition. Also, any suggestions for stocks? I know it's basic, but maybe a Boyd's "at-one"? Just something that isn't wild and looks good still.

With respect have you ever heard the phrase,use the best tool for the job, it's going to be more expensive,but here's my 2cents ,look into bench rest actions ,they also sell barreled actions ,which while not being cutting edge match winning ,will still out shoot you and me ,it takes years &years of shooting to be a master benchrest shooter ,Or buy a Bat action ,& a heavy Palma barrel ,what bullet have you chosen,what cartridge, lots of these are for sale if you know where to look ,yes it's all different levels of spending,but we are at different levels of knowledge. Don't rush into anything , more over study & read , maybe I'm all wet but it a option that needs talked about , hunting actions ,are not bench rest accurate,but the RIGHT gunsmith's can make them so , do your homework ,phone is your friend & choose wisely,Welcome to the Forum it's on of the Best period,cheers.

I would take a pause and look at what you are going to have into this vs a custom action, prefit dropped into a KRG bravo.

It was too hot to shoot this summer so I did a project for a "bean field" rifle. Had this old 700 ADL .308, bottom metal and Burris 6-24 laying around. I'm a south paw so I found this ugly left hand thumb hole for right hand action stock on ebay. Thinned down the fore end and pistol grip, bedded, Timney trigger, bottom metal and added a bipod stud. This is what I came up with......I'm running low on Varget so I cooked up a BL-C(2) load running 165gr Sierra bullets. It's a blast to shoot, fun project and did it all on a budget. It's not in a bench rest class but now I have a new back porch gun. I plan on taking some freezer meat with it this year. Good luck and have fun!

Attachments

• 70534697814__FCCC4DCD-E271-4117-A327-21F6B06F25F3.jpg
    70534697814__FCCC4DCD-E271-4117-A327-21F6B06F25F3.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 70534760103__C5E2AF3A-BFBC-4D1B-BA1D-1A02660DA3BE.jpg
    70534760103__C5E2AF3A-BFBC-4D1B-BA1D-1A02660DA3BE.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1855.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 41
Also, any suggestions for stocks? I know it's basic, but maybe a Boyd's "at-one"? Just something that isn't wild and looks good still

Boyd's are a good value. If you want more choices in hardwood/laminate, there's Richard's Microfit- but they require more fitting/finishing.

With respect have you ever heard the phrase,use the best tool for the job, it's going to be more expensive,but here's my 2cents ,look into bench rest actions ,they also sell barreled actions ,which while not being cutting edge match winning ,will still out shoot you and me ,it takes years &years of shooting to be a master benchrest shooter ,Or buy a Bat action ,& a heavy Palma barrel ,what bullet have you chosen,what cartridge, lots of these are for sale if you know where to look ,yes it's all different levels of spending,but we are at different levels of knowledge. Don't rush into anything , more over study & read , maybe I'm all wet but it a option that needs talked about , hunting actions ,are not bench rest accurate,but the RIGHT gunsmith's can make them so , do your homework ,phone is your friend & choose wisely,Welcome to the Forum it's on of the Best period,cheers.
Thank you, yes my father tells me that often. I agree a very well thought out and built gun would be the best, but I also don't have unlimited funds. I can ring steel at 600 with my .300 wby, so just thinking of a gun a bit easier on the shoulder and something that won't take a can of 4831 every 100 rounds. Thank you!

It was too hot to shoot this summer so I did a project for a "bean field" rifle. Had this old 700 ADL .308, bottom metal and Burris 6-24 laying around. I'm a south paw so I found this ugly left hand thumb hole for right hand action stock on ebay. Thinned down the fore end and pistol grip, bedded, Timney trigger, bottom metal and added a bipod stud. This is what I came up with......I'm running low on Varget so I cooked up a BL-C(2) load running 165gr Sierra bullets. It's a blast to shoot, fun project and did it all on a budget. It's not in a bench rest class but now I have a new back porch gun. I plan on taking some freezer meat with it this year. Good luck and have fun.
That's a nice build. Yea I definitely won't be shooting bench rest classes. I was also thinking of maybe a thumb hole, but wasn't sure about the look. I don't mind it actually. Looks good. Thank you!

Right you are , how's about a 6mm BR , heck they one hole almost all the time small vase lots of fun ,cheers
Interesting, I'll have to research into that. I was thinking 6.5 for the higher coefficients, but I have also been wanting a new coyote gun, that might be a heck of a coyote/bench gun.