belted magnums good bad or just ugly?

Good
20170930_181607.jpg

Belted cases are not bad like many people say, Actually They are very versatile Because they can be loaded several ways. (To use the belt, or the shoulder to head space off of.
They are also the easiest to wildcat because the belt can be safely used to fire form with and then the wildcat can be used ether with the belt or the shoulder By different sizing procedures.

There is no accuracy loss with a belted case if a person is a good Re loader just like the shouldered cases, And with the belt they are stronger in the primer pocket area due to the increased thickness.

I find no fault in belted case and the only downside is case capacity for the same outside diameter. Many of my most accurate rifles are based on belted cases.
Accuracy mostly depends on the hand loaders skill, not the design of the case.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Beaten to death...this belt bashing has NO bearing on fact.
If belts were detrimental, why has the 300WM proven to be one of the most accurate factory offerings?
Short neck....another misconception to poor accuracy.

A belt causes zero problems, size to eliminate the belt,,,,,period.

Cheers.

I used to think a belt meant case head separation.

Early on in my .375H&H reloading, I had a case head separation and just resigned myself to having to live with it for the caliber's sake.

It's been another hundred rounds down the road, and haven't had another one.

My 308 Norma brass from Norma is approaching 10 reloads, with no issues.

My son shoots PRS, and likes to chase velocity. [ I advise him not to, but he's young, and is sure he can re-invent the wheel. ] He has had case head separation occur in 308 Win, 260 Rem and 6mm Creedmoor.

If you reload with equal attention, belt or beltless is irrelevent.

Beaten to death...this belt bashing has NO bearing on fact.
If belts were detrimental, why has the 300WM proven to be one of the most accurate factory offerings?
Short neck....another misconception to poor accuracy.

A belt causes zero problems, size to eliminate the belt,,,,,period.

Cheers.
Could not have said it any better !

Some ask Why you would buy a belted cartridge and size it using the shoulder, why not just buy a shouldered cartridge. Good question: the belted design was invented for safety when hunting dangerous game. The belted cases are head spaced off the belt and the case body and shoulder are much smaller than the chamber to allow cambering in a dirty chamber.

If you took a shouldered case and over sized it moving the shoulder back to belted dimensions the head space would be dangerously excessive. the belt controls head space and doesn't worry about case stretch. Shouldered cases/cartridges use the shoulder to set the head space preventing case stretch that can lead to case head separation. the downside to these cartridges is that if there is any foreign object in the chamber they will normally not chamber and with dangerous game, this could be a problem.

The beauty of the belted case it can be loaded and used for both kinds of hunting by simply changing the way you size them. Full size for dangerous game and size only enough to chamber to use the shoulder for head space for non dangerous game and also extend the case life.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
As mentioned, it makes fire forming very easy. In my "belted" AI, I just "kiss" the shoulder, which means a little effort (very little) is required to close the bolt. I'm pushing my loads pretty hard, and can expect to get 10 or more loads before retiring the cases! Also, my rifle seems to be relatively accurate. So, I've pretty much discounted all the "negative press" about belted cartridges! memtb

Nothing but good, as far as my Tikka 338wm goes and it is LIGHT. Very easy to handload for.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.