Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by smokin502, Aug 12, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. SmallHoles

SmallHoles New Member

I inherited Weatherby .300 Magnum Mark V Deluxe and Browning BAR Grade V 7mm Rem Mag rifles from my dad. I bought Norma brass and a set of Redding Competition Neck Dies for each. After firing and neck-sizing the cases 3 or 4 times, they became difficult to chamber so I full-length resized them. When I used a micrometer to check the cases I noticed a slight bulge above the belts. Larry Willis lives near me, so I was able to get one of his dies in just a couple of days. It removed the bulges and since then I've used it every time I full-length resize.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was a bargain compared to replacing my dad's rifles.

Frog4aday likes this.
  2. ronstone09

ronstone09 Well-Known Member

yes I bought one and the only thing that I found was that it takes a lot of effort to work the die ! I also found that some of my problems were shoulder bump problems ! They do work though on belted magnums and you can drop a case into the top of the die and if it fits it good to go !

3. Rudolph Ferdinand

Rudolph Ferdinand Well-Known Member

I almost from the beginning of handloading, I have used a collet die for 30-06, 300 WSM and 300 Weatherby Magnum, now I am using them for 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel cartridges.

4. 5Spot

5Spot Member

Yes, I have used mine on 7mm RM and 300 Weatherby. It works great to eliminate the bulge above the belt. Use a touch of Imperial Sizing Wax to keep the die running smoothly. I only wish I could find something that works as well for my personal bulge above the belt!

Frog4aday and MELEX like this.
  5. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

It works especially well if you have brass from rifle #1 and then shoot it in rifle #2, whether both are your rifles or the brass is "once fired" from someone else. It is the only time I've had to use it. If I buy once-fired brass it all goes through this die before I use it.

If your brass always gets fired in the exact same rifle every time you probably will never need it.

19 Badger likes this.
  6. PBR driver

PBR driver Well-Known Member

I have been using the collett die for about 8 years on my 7mmSTW. It does in crease my brass life.
    The magnum case collett die besides extending my brass life allows my shells to feed smoothly.
    Many students that have taken my reloading class have been impressed with it as well.
    I say it is well worth the money spent!

7. ericbc7

ericbc7 Well-Known Member

As some others have mentioned, the willis collet die is very effective at resizing brass fired in different rifles. It lets you take advantage of less expensive once-fired brass.

8. zb338

zb338 Well-Known Member

I'd like to have one.

Zeke

9. freddiej

freddiej Well-Known Member

Smokin 502.. I had never seen this die before. I like it. it helps with a problem I have found with a few of the belted magnum sizing dies these days. I might have to see where I can pick one up at.
    BTW, did you know that your numbers are the code for DUI under California Vehicular Code?
    I just looked up the company that makes them and I see that all my belted magnums I reload for me and my family are all included in one die. so this is a cool sizing die to have in my chest of specialized dies.