Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die

Not once have I ever found the need for this die.
If you want long brass life, size correctly in the first place and avoid rifles having chambers that DO NOT support the case head just in front of the belt. Trust me, these chambers are more common than you think.
Also, some brass is thin in front of the belt, the belt and around .040"-.060" in front are part of the solid head, in all but a few brands, there would be no expansion in that area to justify the Larry Willis die.

Anyway, if you feel the need to spend $100+ on a die you may never need, go ahead.

Cheers.
I inherited Weatherby .300 Magnum Mark V Deluxe and Browning BAR Grade V 7mm Rem Mag rifles from my dad. I bought Norma brass and a set of Redding Competition Neck Dies for each. After firing and neck-sizing the cases 3 or 4 times, they became difficult to chamber so I full-length resized them. When I used a micrometer to check the cases I noticed a slight bulge above the belts. Larry Willis lives near me, so I was able to get one of his dies in just a couple of days. It removed the bulges and since then I've used it every time I full-length resize.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was a bargain compared to replacing my dad's rifles.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone used this belted magnum resizing die? It resizes the very base just above the belt where normal dies don't. Thinking of getting one for my 300wm.
Thx for the help
http://www.larrywillis.com/
yes I bought one and the only thing that I found was that it takes a lot of effort to work the die ! I also found that some of my problems were shoulder bump problems ! They do work though on belted magnums and you can drop a case into the top of the die and if it fits it good to go !

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone used this belted magnum resizing die? It resizes the very base just above the belt where normal dies don't. Thinking of getting one for my 300wm.
Thx for the help
I almost from the beginning of handloading, I have used a collet die for 30-06, 300 WSM and 300 Weatherby Magnum, now I am using them for 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel cartridges.

Thx for the help
Yes, I have used mine on 7mm RM and 300 Weatherby. It works great to eliminate the bulge above the belt. Use a touch of Imperial Sizing Wax to keep the die running smoothly. I only wish I could find something that works as well for my personal bulge above the belt!

It works especially well if you have brass from rifle #1 and then shoot it in rifle #2, whether both are your rifles or the brass is "once fired" from someone else. It is the only time I've had to use it. If I buy once-fired brass it all goes through this die before I use it.

If your brass always gets fired in the exact same rifle every time you probably will never need it.

I have been using the collett die for about 8 years on my 7mmSTW. It does in crease my brass life.
The magnum case collett die besides extending my brass life allows my shells to feed smoothly.
Many students that have taken my reloading class have been impressed with it as well.
I say it is well worth the money spent!

As some others have mentioned, the willis collet die is very effective at resizing brass fired in different rifles. It lets you take advantage of less expensive once-fired brass.

Smokin 502.. I had never seen this die before. I like it. it helps with a problem I have found with a few of the belted magnum sizing dies these days. I might have to see where I can pick one up at.
BTW, did you know that your numbers are the code for DUI under California Vehicular Code?
I just looked up the company that makes them and I see that all my belted magnums I reload for me and my family are all included in one die. so this is a cool sizing die to have in my chest of specialized dies.

Two questions, 1: will it remove the bulge above the bely or does it prevent a bulge from occurring?
2: Doesn't it just transfer the bulg from the exterior of the case to the interior? A mandrel of the right diameter to iron out the bulg would not fit through the neck, if thats the case then as a former IBS Heavy Varmint Group competitor, the idea of any irregularities/abnormalities in the "combustion" chamber like a bulg would worry me. Or am I missing something?

1. It removes the bulge.

2. It doesn't transfer it; it straightens the wall. Think of what the Paintless Dent Removal guys do to a car in taking dented sheet metal and making it straight. Same thing; the die straightens the wall back to original shape.

1. It removes the bulge.

2. It doesn't transfer it; it straightens the wall. Think of what the Paintless Dent Removal guys do to a car in taking dented sheet metal and making it straight. Same thing; the die straightens the wall back to original shape.
reloading! I have been using that die for almost 10 years, it removes the bulge, makes the belted case feed better, allows longer case life, has a case gauge to check the case, if it does not go down to the belt with a thunk then you need to resize the case, you can actually resize a loaded case.
I run this die mainly on the 7mm STW case running beyond book loads (safe in my chamber) and still get over 10-15 reloads in the same case sometimes more depending on the individual case.
Well worth the extra money if you are shooting any false based on the .375 H&H.

Do you still need one if you bump the neck? I'm using a Forster one.
Over the past 8ish years I've loaded for 2 300wm rifles and 1 7mm rem mag. I don't mix brass from different rifles and haven't had an issue with case bulge. I usually retire my brass after 8-10 firings just because I "feel" that it's time to start fresh.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.