Being proactive

jkupper

Hey all,

Okay, so we have been discussing a lot in these threads about remaining proactive and doing something about what is going on in our nation right now with guns. We have also discussed how so many are zombies to the media and the like and do zero thinking on their own. As a high school teacher I believe that we CAN educate people if we try.

These zombies are also HUGELY addicted to Facebook and other forms of social media. I am not a big Facebooker, but I am about to become one. I am going to start trying to post one gun fact each day on my facebook status and ask others to post it if they agree. If everyone does this, and many repost, it will be all over Facebook in no time!

I started with this:

In an effort to educate some of the uneducated about firearms I am going to be sharing at least one fact every day I get on facebook. First fact: There would be no U.S.A if it were not for the gun and the men who were brave enough to use them. If we didn't have guns the people reading this post would all be member of the United Kingdom. There would not be a Declaration of Independence OR Constitution. Like it or not folks, the freedoms you enjoy today are the result of the very thing that so many want to ban today.
If you agree take these and share them on your facebook walls! Share the word!

I really believe this is an action that will help. I think everyone should do it, and as others you know to do the same. Going for the WE idea here and not the ME.

I already do something similar. The problem is that when you put up links or what have you, folks still have to stop for a min to read it or take few minutes to watch the video you posted the link to.

Just yesterday evening after I got done clearing out my folks drive way, I went in to say hi, visit a little. My mom is on facebook and says "hey whats this thing on your wall?" I asked "did you click on the link?" Her: "no" Me: "well click on it and read it even though you won't like what you read you need to, thats why I put up a link" Thing is I doubt she did, you see my folks are well into retirement years and if it doesn't effect their retirement, or health care it all stupid ******** and won't happen, as far as their concerned obummer is a good guy! Oh man they get more than a little irritated when I point out what he's doing and how I know that he is / has done this or that.

It's not just the younger generation that wont think for themselves, thats the problem but I bet there's a lot of seniors to that have lived thier life and just want quiet, even if it means ignoring the monster outside.

Good idea!

I think grass roots campaigns like this really help. Also, take a few minutes to talk to people about gun rights vs. gun control. Sadly many people believe what they see on TV and often it's their only source of information.

I hope to see the NRA, GOA, NAGR, and all of the hunting organizations spend a little coin on a proactive media blitz promoting the positive aspects of gun ownership, the shooting sports, and hunting.

I already do something similar. The problem is that when you put up links or what have you, folks still have to stop for a min to read it or take few minutes to watch the video you posted the link to.

Just yesterday evening after I got done clearing out my folks drive way, I went in to say hi, visit a little. My mom is on facebook and says "hey whats this thing on your wall?" I asked "did you click on the link?" Her: "no" Me: "well click on it and read it even though you won't like what you read you need to, thats why I put up a link" Thing is I doubt she did, you see my folks are well into retirement years and if it doesn't effect their retirement, or health care it all stupid ******** and won't happen, as far as their concerned obummer is a good guy! Oh man they get more than a little irritated when I point out what he's doing and how I know that he is / has done this or that.

It's not just the younger generation that wont think for themselves, thats the problem but I bet there's a lot of seniors to that have lived thier life and just want quiet, even if it means ignoring the monster outside.

Joe,

I hear your frustrations. Both my uncle and cousins love obummer. They all own guns. Go figure!

Anyway, don't lose hope. I am only 30, and none of the high school students that I teach like Obummer, but we talk about current events in my classroom even though my classes are science classes. Don't give up! Keep reaching out!

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.