Before I shoot my new gun, I need to know...

Rymart

I just got my Tikka M595 Sporter in 308 (very difficult to find). The factory barrel was removed, because the gunsmith had planned to make the gun into a Palma rifle with a custom barrel. I had him reinstall the new original factory barrel.

After receiving the rifle and installing the rings and the scope I loaded the magazine with 5 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo (175 grains), placed the magazine in the rifle, and worked the rounds through the rifle. I noticed that when I closed the bolt with a couple of the rounds, that it seemed to close a little tightly. I inspected these rounds and noticed a slight scratch like mark on the bullet about a 16th of an inch up from the end of the case and parallel to the end of the case. The mark was approximately 1/4 the circumference of the bullet. Do I need to be worried about this? The bolt wasn't really that hard to close, but did seem slightly harder than normal. Could this indicate an issue with the rifle that may effect accuracy in a negative way? Any ideas or suggestions??

Thank You in advance.

FWIW, my tikka 595 243 has a tight chamber as well -- closes firmly on a FL sized round even!

It is a good thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

see how she shoots!

THe scratch was probably from the mag feeding.

JB

Fishfry ,
The markings on the bullet you have observed are perfectly normal.They occur as the bullet contacts the chamber due to gravity , pressure from the extractor as it slips over the case rim or pressure from the plunger type ejector pushing the case sideways (no plunger type ejector in a Tikka from memory). Firm chambering of a factory load probably indicates that your rifle has minimum headspace . This is positive . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts