Been away a while

.30US

I've been deployed the last seven months, but will be home shortly and already planning to be hunting in about a week and a half. I bought a used CZ 550 American .243 for a light, carrying rifle and a Burris 3-9X with illuminated reticle. I doubt I'll get to do any long range hunting at my ranch this trip, but I can probably do some plinking out to 450yds. Unfortunately, the hogs seem to have moved on a few years ago, I'm missing doe season, and I leave the bucks for the guys looking for trophies. If I'm lucky, I might see some hogs at my Uncle's place, but it will still probably be within 300yds.

Let me be the first to welcome you back home and to thank you for your service. I'm not normally up at this hour of the morning (AZ), but I'm BBQing (smoking) some tenderloin. From your mention of hogs, I would assume you are talking about some place south of the Mason/Dixon. They have some great BBQ down there. But just in case you don't get your fill - drop on by. We'll save you a place and leave the light on for you. Have a safe trip home, and once again - thank you for your service.

Yeah, I'm from Texas, so being at the ranch is synonymous with having something on the smoker. I try to get home to Texas as often as I can, but it never seems like it is enough. Mostly, I hunt at our place in southeast Texas, but I used to go out to Jeff Davis County in West TX and we go down to South Texas once a year or so. If you're looking for the best restaurant-bought BBQ anywhere, stop in at Kreuz's Market in Lockhart, TX sometime; Smitty's and Black's BBQ are pretty good, there, too. There's also plenty of great hunting within easy driving distance from Lockhart.

Spent five years in Houston, TX. That's where I developed a love for real BBQ. I have fond memories of goose hunting just outside Eagle Lake. Between the hogs, deer and waterfowl, there is some great hunting to be had down there. I don't get back as often as I would like. But even as great as the hunting and food are, it's the people I met there that have left a mark on me. I was only there five years, but made friends that have lasted a life time. Enjoy your time at home and shoot a big hog for me.

If you're looking for the best restaurant-bought BBQ anywhere, stop in at Kreuz's Market in Lockhart, TX sometime

Welcome back. Thanks for doing what you do. It may not seem like to you that you are making a difference but believe me you make a difference every day for all of us in this country. Wouldn't be able to have the freedoms that we have if it wasn't for people like you. Thanks again.

NOW, about your BBQ mishap! Everyone knows that Coopers BBQ in Llano, TX is the best place in the world to get BBQ! I can't let you get away with that statement! :D I grew up in Llano and miss the deer hunting that Texas offers. 2 bucks and 3 does...you can't beat that!

Cooper's is good, when you catch them on a good day, but they have a lot of bad days, unfortunately. My sister and her husband used to drive out and pick it up on their way to Dublin for Dr. Pepper pretty regularly. Now there is a Cooper's out in Mason that is pretty good, too, especially their goat. But, I am the fourth of five generations of my family that has enjoyed Kreuz's and you can't beat holding a huge beef rib and watching the meat slide off the end of the bone.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.