Beef sweetbreads

FEENIX

I was surprised my base commissary had them and had to try them. I grew up eating it; the last time I had it, it was in the late 1970s.

Beef sweetbreads 1 of 4.jpg
Beef sweetbreads 2 of 4.jpg
Beef sweetbreads 3 of 4.jpg

With salt and pepper and pan-fried with roasted garlic infused olive oil.

Beef sweetbreads 4 of 4.jpg

Same as above except with spicy blend bread crumb.

Haven't seen sweetbread in years. Never seen it on the market. Slaughter houses use to throw it in the gut pile.
Before my parents retired/passed, they were in the meat market business for nearly four decades, and we hardly wasted anything. Growing up, it was an excellent treat while butchering. My job was to cook them over an open fire with just salt and pepper, slice them thin, and dip them in a garlic and vinegar sauce.

Before my parents retired/passed, they were in the meat market business for nearly four decades, and we hardly wasted anything. Growing up, it was an excellent treat while butchering. My job was to cook them over an open fire with just salt and pepper, slice them thin, and dip them in a garlic and vinegar sauce.

My Dad was the inspector in slaughter houses, and he would bring sweetbread home and Mom would fry it. It's some good stuff.

Don't remember eating this, but Mom did make brains and eggs, and hoghead cheese. Never cared for the latter, but the brains and eggs were OK. Squirrel brains good. Before I (or anyone else) learned about prion disease of course.

Don't remember eating this, but Mom did make brains and eggs, and hoghead cheese. Never cared for the latter, but the brains and eggs were OK. Squirrel brains good. Before I (or anyone else) learned about prion disease of course.

Never cared for nor tried the brain.
Mom would eat the brain, but I quit cleaning the heads for her after they come up with the disease in there.

Honestly I had to google it to find out WTH you're cooking up now FEENIX. But after that search I'd give it a try if someone who knows what they are doing is cooking. Looks good !

Honestly I had to google it to find out WTH you're cooking up now FEENIX. But after that search I'd give it a try if someone who knows what they are doing is cooking. Looks good !
It's better than it looks. People that throw them away do not know what they are missing. Yes, it is all about preparation. But honestly, it does not need much. The culinary arts world considers it a delicatessen.