Bear Scent & Lure

YOTEBOY

Here's a question for you serious bear hunters out there: What lures & scents have you had your best success with? I'm not talking one or two bears, but 5 or more and year after year consistant results?

Good question. I live in Washington state and here it is not legal to bait bear or cougar, although scents are a different story I believe.

Don't think honey-burns are legal either.

Any scents, not baits, that work well out there?

EH

I don't know how to spell it but the stuff that they put in propane to make it smell works pretty good. Ether macaptain???? Something like that anyway.

We use anise (the confectioners scent added to black licorice).
It's available in liquid form that works well in a squirt bottle.
Also liquid smoke.
Another trick is to pull a can of bacon grease up a tree and tip it over so it runs down the tree trunk.
All of these scents linger in the air for a while.
If there's a bear within a mile or so (and he doesn't smell you) he'll come around.

in a no bait area it may be considered bait but doughnut fryer grease has worked year after year here, pour it on a stump light it up let it burn a bit and put it out.

I used a bacon grease scented "Bear Bomb" last year one night and had 4 come in. The boar I shot walked right up to it.

Beaver or beaver castor second to none,Not always the biggest bears but shooters,This is used in conjunction with oats ,molasses and some candy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.