Bear country pistol

I'm interested in the naysayers in this thread. How many of the naysayers here have actually hunted in Griz land? I've hunted many years on the south end of the Bob Marshall wilderness. When you cut a fresh Griz track, it humbles you real fast.
I see big griz tracks often. I don't like hunting alone anymore. Too many of them out there nowadays.
IMG_20201102_092455609.jpg
20231119_153716.jpg
IMG_20211102_100904683.jpg
IMG_20201102_092805519.jpg
IMG_20211102_120607300.jpg

Bigger is better, but... a 10mm with a righteous bullet seems to be OK from the ballistic testing and a few encounters I've read about with the 10mm, and it would be my pick as well for lighter carry with a good ammo load out. Yeah, I carry a G20SF 10mm in the woods, makes me feel warm and fuzzy... 🐻 Cheers.
Is the SF a smaller grip area?

I would love to see what those folks look like on a timer. Time matters.
Time is the one thing that matters MOST in a critical incident. It is is hard to play catch-up when things start. You have to see it coming and beat your opponent.

If you know it is there already, you are ahead of the "game". Ambush sucks, probably double with bears.

Time is the one thing that matters MOST in a critical incident. It is is hard to play catch-up when things start. You have to see it coming and beat your opponent.

If you know it is there already, you are ahead of the "game". Ambush sucks, probably double with bears.
I was lucky last year. I saw him before he saw me. Kept track of him. He never knew we were there. I think wind was right and he ended up below me. So we were ready. Could of been other way around. In 2021 I was glad I had my dog. He's my ears. I'm about 80% deaf with out hearing aids. I key of his actions and where he is looking .

1) Having seen bears take a hit from a large caliber rifle, and .44 magnum rifles I'm skeptical about larger handguns making a difference.
2) I'm definitely not coordinated enough for spray in one hand and a gun in the other.
3) like many types of conflicts, you're likely (if ambushed or it starts close) you might be on the ground. In such situations jamming the gun into the bear may take it out of battery.
4) A shame more don't come with a lanyard so you don't lose it.

A good dog is tough to beat, a bad can get you killed.

It is a slightly thinner grip. Noticeable if you have smaller hands for sure.
Thanks. I have a pretty big hand so might want to stay with the regular 20
I was lucky last year. I saw him before he saw me. Kept track of him. He never knew we were there. I think wind was right and he ended up below me. So we were ready. Could of been other way around. In 2021 I was glad I had my dog. He's my ears. I'm about 80% deaf with out hearing aids. I key of his actions and where he is looking .

This was in Northern BC a couple years ago. Just feeding beside the main road. 2 different bears.

Attachments

• IMG_0951.jpeg
    IMG_0951.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0949.jpeg
    IMG_0949.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 22
1) Having seen bears take a hit from a large caliber rifle, and .44 magnum rifles I'm skeptical about larger handguns making a difference.
2) I'm definitely not coordinated enough for spray in one hand and a gun in the other.
3) like many types of conflicts, you're likely (if ambushed or it starts close) you might be on the ground. In such situations jamming the gun into the bear may take it out of battery.
4) A shame more don't come with a lanyard so you don't lose it.

A good dog is tough to beat, a bad can get you killed.
It does cross my mind about slide getting pushed out of battery or pushing mag release. I weigh that with a revolver. I have 460 S&W . Heavy. 5 shots. A lot of recoil . A Ruger Super Redhawk 454. Almost as heavy . 6 shots. A Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. 6 shots. Single action ... a few 357 double and single action revolvers. Thought about it hard for a long time. I'll take semi auto 10mm. As far as the dog. Mine doesn't bark or go after deer. Etc.. He's quite and we communicate by looking at each other and hand or voice signals. He's not a handicap. I do like having a buddy with me. Grizzlies are thick here in North and South Fork of Shoshone. I'll take every advantage I can get.

As far as the dog. Mine doesn't bark or go after deer. Etc.. He's quite and we communicate by looking at each other and hand or voice signals. He's not a handicap. I do like having a buddy with me. Grizzlies are thick here in North and South Fork of Shoshone. I'll take every advantage I can get.
I figured your dog was good to go.