Bear country pistol

Everyone remember this:

"A bear has to touch you to hurt you.
Do not let the bear touch you."

Or

""A bear has to touch me to hurt me.
I will NOT LET THE BEAR TOUCH ME."

Nothing to worry about if one follows this mindset.

For those who live and recreate in bear country, God gave you dominion over bears. Genesis 1:26

Last edited:
For backdrop, I did own an S&W 1076 10mm (Gen-u-wine FBI issue auto in a Bangor-Punta box labeled FBI ACADEMY) purchased via a local FBI agent when they are going away from the 10mm back in the 89/90 time frame.
Never shot it.

That said, I did handle one of these

https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-xten-endure.html

on Saturday and IF I was to give up my John Linebaugh built .500 Linebaugh for a lesser gun in my woods-walking in NW Wyoming, it would be a strong contender for a new favorite.

When I coon-fingered it, the grip frame angle, and dimensions and the point-ability in relation to the sights IN MY HANDS gave me a feeling of confidence in using it under duress in close quarters. (I would add a Trijicon RMR or SRO). Just THIS model.

I haven't handled the other XTen models.
Buddy that hunts with me just bought an FN 10mm. I don't know the model. He had been carrying a 45 auto. I think it was a Walther. I gave him a box of HSM 200 gr. Hardcast bear loads to practice with. Last year Murdock's was selling the 20 rd. boxes of HSM for $12.99 ! No limit I bought 8 boxes. Sold most to buddy's.

When I first came to AK, I bought a s&W 629 .44 mag with 6" barrel. I didn't know how long the AF would let me stay. I got a High School Sr. Deferment and retired here. I bought the 6" . 44 mag to deer hunt with after we left. Since we stayed here, I have a Glock Model 20 and a Springfield XDM 10mm now. I prefer the XDM over the Glock, but carry the Glock when we go fishing as I have a red dot on the XDM. No matter what you have practice is key. I have since joined a monthly pistol competition at my range, and just let me say, I'm not as good as I thought I was with a pistol.
I have a Glock 20 and an XDM 10mm also. I prefer the XDM grip over the Glock. Glock is more accurate except with the bear loads. I found that out last year while practicing. This year I carried the XDM but I duct tapped the grip safety down. I tried once carrying my 460 S&W in shoulder holster. To heavy and slow on recoil.

I'm interested in the naysayers in this thread. How many of the naysayers here have actually hunted in Griz land? I've hunted many years on the south end of the Bob Marshall wilderness. When you cut a fresh Griz track, it humbles you real fast.

I'll respond to this since I'm one of the people making light of the whole situation. But every 3 to 5 months we have a thread that goes 20 pages on bear protection, then a random poster will show up about a month later and revive it just in time for another thread to start.

Most of my life without snow involves recreating or working in bear country, wandering around remote areas of alaska. Every hobby my wife picks up seems to put us smack dab in the middle of bear country even more.(packrafted almost all Sept, nothing more fun than floating down creeks in a paper thin raft with bears feeding on salmon... like a giant slow moving twinkie.)

Could probably tell bear stories for hours, from funny to scary and everything in between. Heck of the contacts in my phone on a cursory scroll it looks like four contacts with bear bite scars. So I get the seriousness, but also realize almost all the incidents were solvable with better decisions and situational awareness. Some of the posts in this thread just make me laugh, took the first dozen threads seriously... now I'm just gonna recommend a 22 mag pistol to the knees of the guys your fishing with and a decent set of running shoes.

There are several types of grizzly attacks. It's possible you will survive an attack due to random encounter, or an attack by a mother with cubs, if the cubs run away - playing dead may help there, as the bear seeks only to teach you a lesson. If an attack by a mother whose cubs tree near her, or if yearling cubs are involved and they attack also, the attack will be fatal unless you can stop it. Predatory attacks are fatal. if you stumble onto a grizzly food cache, you are dead, unless you can kill the bear. Playing dead isn't a top option.

This info gleaned from a couple of books by a man (forgot name, maybe kendall) who conducted bear safety courses for gov't and private industry in BC in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. He was a lifetime observer of bears and a lifetime interviewer of bear attack survivors and witnesses. He differs from Herrero in a number of key points. He attributes the differences to Herrero's use of broad statistics that include "attacks" by bears near human establishments. This man's work centers on bear attacks in wild country. He ran shooting courses for those who might encounter a bear attack. His writing and his experience base are compelling.

He doesn't reject spray out of hand, just notes that it is often ineffective - remember that the bear may well come back after being sprayed, so carry two cans. If you think about it, spraying the bear's fur isn't going to do much of anything, you need to get the spray into eyes or mouth, if mouth, preferably when bear is inhaling. Even then it may only discourage the bear momentarily. Note that he taught a firearms course, not a bear spray course.

I notice his books have disappeared from Amazon, dropped in favor of more touchy-feely or sensationalistic stuff.
While living in Alaska, I once watched from our tree stand, a interior grizz chew up a pepper spray can that my buddy dropped While getting into his stand. He seemed to really like the flavor, I never carried pepper spray and my buddy never did again after that. What I have learned from several bear encounters is that each one is different and so are the bears. I tell people to carry what they can shoot proficiency. I personally won't carry a semi auto, only because if and when it gets ahold of you, if you push it against the bear ( which you will most likely do) you push it out of battery and make it in operational. True you have less rounds with a wheel gun, but every time you pull the trigger it will go bang. The odds of getting a spine or head shot for most people is going to be rare or very lucky, before it is on you. Do your own research, carry what you want and practice, practice, practice and expect to come out of the encounter with scars and a story. Just my two cents. I have lived in Alaska and now in NW Montana.

I'm interested in the naysayers in this thread. How many of the naysayers here have actually hunted in Griz land? I've hunted many years on the south end of the Bob Marshall wilderness. When you cut a fresh Griz track, it humbles you real fast.
I have had a up close and personal meeting with grizz when I was a younger man and it will humble the toughest man.Not the Bob Marshall,much farther south.Even my 44 mag seemed way too small!

1) Having seen bears take a hit from a large caliber rifle, and .44 magnum rifles I'm skeptical about larger handguns making a difference.
2) I'm definitely not coordinated enough for spray in one hand and a gun in the other.
3) like many types of conflicts, you're likely (if ambushed or it starts close) you might be on the ground. In such situations jamming the gun into the bear may take it out of battery.
4) A shame more don't come with a lanyard so you don't lose it.

A good dog is tough to beat, a bad can get you killed.
I agree, a lanyard is a good thing to have. After that train hits you, your more then likely going to have whatever is in your hand knocked out of it.

I'll respond to this since I'm one of the people making light of the whole situation. But every 3 to 5 months we have a thread that goes 20 pages on bear protection, then a random poster will show up about a month later and revive it just in time for another thread to start.

Most of my life without snow involves recreating or working in bear country, wandering around remote areas of alaska. Every hobby my wife picks up seems to put us smack dab in the middle of bear country even more.(packrafted almost all Sept, nothing more fun than floating down creeks in a paper thin raft with bears feeding on salmon... like a giant slow moving twinkie.)

Could probably tell bear stories for hours, from funny to scary and everything in between. Heck of the contacts in my phone on a cursory scroll it looks like four contacts with bear bite scars. So I get the seriousness, but also realize almost all the incidents were solvable with better decisions and situational awareness. Some of the posts in this thread just make me laugh, took the first dozen threads seriously... now I'm just gonna recommend a 22 mag pistol to the knees of the guys your fishing with and a decent set of running shoes.
Fair enough.

I can agree with common sense. Before any caliber or weapon platform, I will always choose avoidance in the case of Griz. Partially because of the hassle of killing one and being honest with game and fish, but mostly because I don't have a crystal ball and certainly don't know how an encounter will turn out if I am charged. A number of times I've simply walked back to the truck when I cut a track. Live to hunt another day, right?

I understand the avoidant method. Every 10 years or so we have the Stars align Where we have three or four big years of fish and food and we get way higher than average survivability with Cubs. Usually followed up with a year with dang near no fish or food for the animals after a severe winter. Most recently it was 2016, had friends convinced they had to kill bears that they felt were hunting them. Reliable well seasoned Hunters who had 20 years experience in that area that were convinced that the Bears were either demon possessed or trying to get them. Looking back on 60 years of my grandfather's stories you can pretty much pick the decade gaps between this phenomenon. So in the fall when I hear stories of really aggressive bears chasing Hunters off their kill, we go hunt where the bears aren't.

Also understand the not wanting to deal with the paperwork. Village was kinda a different story, the state pretty much gives us autonomy out there to deal with stuff the way we need to. Had a friend do a defensive use on a bear in the Matsu, said between the paperwork and interrogations he'd wait till the next bear was swallowing him over the knee before he shot....

It's only anecdotal, but my belief is find what makes you feel comfortable. Kinda a Dumbo feather situation, if your fully convinced in your mind what you carry works.... your not gonna stink of fear. So when your doing the hands in the air "whoa bear hey bear" moon walk, it's confident and they respond and saunter off. Not sure if it's the smell, or the crack in the voice (scared voice and rabbit calls hit a similar pitch) but scared unconfident response will cascade worse bear responses.

Find what feather(pistol, rifle, shot gun, spray, etc) works in your own mind and fly with it.

I think a single shot 22 short would be the man bun challenge. Griz haven't been hunted and don't have fear of people here since 1970. Unlike Alaska and Canada 😉

While living in Alaska, I once watched from our tree stand, an interior grizz chew up a pepper spray can that my buddy dropped While getting into his stand. He seemed to really like the flavor, I never carried pepper spray and my buddy never did again after that. What I have learned from several bear encounters is that each one is different and so are the bears. I tell people to carry what they can shoot proficiency. I personally won't carry a semi auto, only because if and when it gets ahold of you, if you push it against the bear ( which you will most likely do) you push it out of battery and make it in operational. True you have less rounds with a wheel gun, but every time you pull the trigger it will go bang. The odds of getting a spine or head shot for most people is going to be rare or very lucky, before it is on you. Do your own research, carry what you want and practice, practice, practice and expect to come out of the encounter with scars and a story. Just my two cents. I have lived in Alaska and now in NW Montana.
The thing I don't like about bear spray it's just a deterrent if a bear is mad and adrenaline flowing I wouldn't want to trust a spray.

I've heard of and seen a few videos were people bought bear spray and it wouldn't spray from old cans to new ones.

Think I would rely on a primer to go off instead of bear spray.