Bear country pistol

IMG_20201031_103954004_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201031_103740462.jpg
IMG_20201031_112959777.jpg
IMG_20201031_113134363.jpg
IMG_20211102_123424555.jpg
IMG_20211102_123356763_HDR.jpg

Bear dog for rent 😉

If a bear ever shows up in Alabama, I have been carrying a Springfield XDm10 4.5 OSP loaded with 200gr RNFP over a nuclear load of powder pushing 1230fps.

However, for my birthday, my wife got me a 454 Casull. Loading it with a nice, accurate, middle of the road charge for about 1450fps with a 300gr XTP Magnum.

carry something your comfortable with and shoot well. A Rifle is useless resting against a tree same goes for the shot gun. Or leaving the big iron side because of weight. But I will stick with my sig P320xten with 20 on tap and 1 in the pipe. Practice with what you carry. Bears are faster than you think.

Rockstar is my go everywhere, hunt everything buddy. Smartest, most game dog I've ever had. Hunts birds, loves it when we call in bears. You name it he's ready to go!

Side note, I grew up around Chessies, if I ever wanted a big dog again that'd be my go to.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20160923_180753051.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20160923_180753051.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 25
Surely a fellow can find some place on God's green earth where you can go fishing where there aren't ANY bears? If I have to pack a pistol or a shotgun or both to go fishing, lol I'm out... I fish a lot in the Caribbean, had more good days than bad days for sure! And I never saw a bear...
I have had some run ins with small flying bugs ...brutal...

I.Don't.Feesh.
😝😝😝

Rockstar is my go everywhere, hunt everything buddy. Smartest, most game dog I've ever had. Hunts birds, loves it when we call in bears. You name it he's ready to go!

Side note, I grew up around Chessies, if I ever wanted a big dog again that'd be my go to.
I had one of those.
They have no idea how little they are
RIP Tracer aka John's 7.62 Tracer

I have a 329 Smith with the Crimson Trace red laser hand grips and bulletproof rear iron sights custom made by a man in Las Vegas.I have the ammo loaded for these titanium frame guns by Buffalo Bore.This is probably the best revolver for defense in the bear woods. Unfortunately I'm fighting cancer and it's taken 80 percent of my strength.Bottom line I'm not going to get to use it anymore but if somebody is serious contact me.Tony.

1) Having seen bears take a hit from a large caliber rifle, and .44 magnum rifles I'm skeptical about larger handguns making a difference.
2) I'm definitely not coordinated enough for spray in one hand and a gun in the other.
3) like many types of conflicts, you're likely (if ambushed or it starts close) you might be on the ground. In such situations jamming the gun into the bear may take it out of battery.
4) A shame more don't come with a lanyard so you don't lose it.

A good dog is tough to beat, a bad can get you killed.
The really bad thing is on contact gunshot wounds the gun inhales after the shot and sucks (flesh, blood, hair, clothing) material back down the bore and can obstruct it.

Suicides prove it.

Yeah, it is real.
It would REALLY SUCK to have your gun tied up from goo and needing another shot.

Last edited:
Some of you have significant experience in bear country. I respect those that have traveled deep into these areas to fish or hunt. Those that venture into these areas must accept the risks and turn their awareness sensors to the highest level. When the bear claims your harvest it's best to remember where you stand in the food chain.
View attachment 543650

Same bear. He was crabby.
IMG_6222.jpeg

It does cross my mind about slide getting pushed out of battery or pushing mag release. I weigh that with a revolver. I have 460 S&W . Heavy. 5 shots. A lot of recoil . A Ruger Super Redhawk 454. Almost as heavy . 6 shots. A Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. 6 shots. Single action ... a few 357 double and single action revolvers. Thought about it hard for a long time. I'll take semi auto 10mm. As far as the dog. Mine doesn't bark or go after deer. Etc.. He's quite and we communicate by looking at each other and hand or voice signals. He's not a handicap. I do like having a buddy with me. Grizzlies are thick here in North and South Fork of Shoshone. I'll take every advantage I can get.
Hey Don,
Let's get together and talk about this.
I have some mindset things to share.

John