Bean Field Whistle Pigs

Nimrodmar10

Out thinning the groundhogs for soy bean farming friend this morning. Two down so far and I've located a few more for the afternoon. Shooting my Rem. 700 VSSF in 22-250. Shooting the Sierra 53 gr. HP Match bullets with a heavy load of Win. 748. Prime medicine for the pasture poodles.

I've killed hundreds of groundhogs in my 45+ years of shooting them but I had a new first this morning. When I shot the first one this morning, he dropped at the shot but then he squealed 5 or six times just like a dying rabbit. Sounded just like a jack rabbit. Then he died. It surprised me so much that I started looking for a rabbit in the shrapnel area behind the groundhog.

Anyone else ever heard one squeal?

Another one just bit the bullet at 385 yards. I expect that bare half-moon spot in the bean field will fill back in. This one didn't make any noise. I shot him in the squealer.

It's not very often, but I've had one or two squeal when I used a smaller rifle (17HMR). Most of them never get the option though, as it's usually the 30/06 with 130gr/hp's or the 338LM when I feel like lugging it up the hill.

I've shot tons of rock chucks with my bow and those little buggers can scream! I honestly think they have the loudest, most abrasive sounding squeal I've ever heard in person. Keep dropping them!

i have a grounhog distress call on my foxpro scorpion that i use for yotes it works great here in indiana....
who would have guessed that their was such a sound available??????

Still whittling on them. Killed two more yesterday in the same soybean fields. Both were only 150-200 yards. The first one I had to sit and wait on for two hours in the 98 degree heat. He ducked back into his hole when I first got there so I just settled in and layed dog till he came back out.

I killed two yesterday with my 17hmr, one at 25 yards and.one at 65 yards, both head shots, no squealing.....found a big fat one I WAN shoot with my 300wsm today, he's got plenty of soybeans and clover to eat, fat n happy, soon to be a mess in my grandma's yard....

Only took my 17 hmr out this weekend, finally got the timing right and two hours,two hides, and one hole later there were two younger ghogs laying in my grandmas front yard.....

ForumRunner_20120708_210626.png

The one with the bloody face was a short shot at bout 25-30 yards, the other one busted me at bout 50 so I walked to the other side of the shed their hole was under, set up in the bean field opposite where I got busted, bout 100 yards out.....

Killed another one yesterday on the same farm but another field. This field was planted in soybeans after the winter wheat was harvested. The beans are only a couple of inches tall. The chucks can really do some damage. Took him with my 22-250 at 233 yards.

Killed another GH in the beans again today. Five years ago the coyotes had just about wiped out the groundhogs in my area. After concentrating on the coyotes on my hunting places for five years the deer, turkeys and groundhogs have really made a comeback. At least they don't eat the calves and piglets like the coyotes and they're better eating.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.