Beam Scales

A balance beam oscillates on a knife edge. As long as the edge is true it will perform. An electronic balance uses a strain guage. Calibrate it with a known weight and it mathematically calculates the weight of a object. What you don't see in the display is the last digit. It is constantly changing but the computer will take the average of the spread to display.
Always use a set of calibration, check weights to determine the scale is operating properly. A set of weights for reloading purpose is about $20. A tenth of grain is good for most loads. .1grain. However, for light loads with fast powders like in a pistol load, a .1 gr may be on the edge of acceptable. Look at it as a percent. .1gr in a 300mag is nothing, but in a pistol with a few grains of fast powder you can see how important it is..

How sensitive can we go? To determine mass to the .0001 of a nanogram the balance should be on a vibration absorbing table (8" thick marble) to cancel out earth trembles, suspend the object in water below balance and you can determine mass to .000001gram. I have worked with those types of balances. NASA can weigh a fingerprint.

Last edited:
Any one know who's making the best reloading Beam scale. I have a digital scale too, but I'd just rather use a beam . After searching, No one makes anything like the old Ohaus 1110. or the RCBS 304.
Go to ebay and watch. They come up a lot during the year. It's bid item and they go for a lot of money. They did when you could by them over the counter. It's been a long while that I was on Ebay, but watch. If you haven't use ebay it's a trip! The bidding get hot at the end. Timing at the end of bidding for the item is wild. There will the Dia-O-Matic and RCBS Ohaus scales come.
All I generally use is a powder dump, and final out with the Ohaus. I do have a Autotrickler V4+A&D FX-120 on order. From what I understand it will be sometime in September before I can get one. They say is very good, and accurate. I'll see how it stands up to the Ohaus/Redding scales.

I've converted to an RCBS Chargemaster for the bulk of my long gun loading, verifying every 5 loads with my "Old" Lyman D7, the price tag on the box is, 17.95. I wanted a 1010 but kept getting outbid, so I settled for a new in-box 5-10. I also use a beam scale to verify my charges from an RCBS powder dispense for my handgun loads. I think the reason the old D7 has lasted so long is after every use it goes back into the box and packed into sealed tubs that roll under my bench. The only tools left on the bench are my presses,, all of which are coved when not in use. Same for my RCBS melter for casting. My molds are lubed and packed away in military ammo cans.

Several have mentioned the Hornady and I remember my mentor used a Hornady beam scale.
Very heavy so bumping it won't change it.
If I were in the market and had nothing else I would most likely choose the Hornady.

How sensitive can we go?
Even then, weight is used as a proxy for propellant mass. What would be more beneficial to us, more exact weight measurements or more exact kernel sizes? There are diminishing returns in every endeavor, so the logic behind charge nodes is to find the largest possible variation in charge mass that doesn't impact the internal ballistics of a shot, given that we have no control over the kernels themselves. There comes a point where case capacity, case design, and actual volume under the seated projectile should overcome anything less than single average kernel variances in charge weight.

The only thing I've ever used is a beam scale. The guy that taught me to reload(started 1972) used a Ohaus/RCBS 304, so when i got started on my own, that's what I bought as well. Later on I added a Ohaus 1010 & still use both of them to this day. Like others have said, watching ebay is probably the best way to find one, if that's what you want. The 304's don't show up near as often as they used to tho & they usually command a pretty fair price. Collectibles stores & Antique stores sometimes have that kind of stuff as well. Good luck with your endeavor.

If I could purchase a new Ohaus 1110 or 304 that would be my choice. My issue with a pre- owned balance is, If it needs service or parts when I receive it, Ohaus does not support parts or service for those units.
The sellers I have contacted when I see a 1110 for sale can't tell me if it works as it should and even if all the parts are included. Kind of a take a chance lose your pants deal.

I bought my rcbs 10-10 scale a long time ago! Since then I have went to the A&D FX120i with the auto Trickler and it is accurate to within .02 every time.
Ted

The Dial O Grain scale is the same basic scale as the Dial O Gram scale that Ohaus sells to middle school science classrooms for $75 per. The beam heads are large, quite heavy and have a dampening system that is less than robust. The powder pan is also quite heavy. The dial operation relies on a coiled spring thus making it a hybrid of a mass balance and a spring scale and therefore more complicated than necessary.
The addition of the dial amounts to an additional poise on the beam head. This makes three sources of error versus two for any scale that I care to use for powder charges. For these reasons, I use other scales that are much better suited to the task.

Scott Parker

His customer service might leave a little to be desired, but he is very knowledgeable about analog scales. The above is his take on the Dial-a-gram scales.

Last edited:
Any one know who's making the best reloading Beam scale. I have a digital scale too, but I'd just rather use a beam . After searching, No one makes anything like the old Ohaus 1110. or the RCBS 304.
I have had a RCBS 5-0-2 since the early 70's and it has never let me down, still in the original box, if you can find one they are so good I doubt anything newer would be any better, Cheers from Downunder

I have a Henry Troemner dual beam I inherited from my Dad. A bit slow, but very accurate. I've had the red Pacific balance scale (reasonably accurate, rather slow) since the 70s, digitals from RCBS (awful) and Lyman (OK, but lots of drifting, lack of repeatability). I finally paid up for the A&D FX-120i Love that one. Buy once, cry once. Fast, totally reliable and repeatable, accurately measures to the individual kernel of powder. Perfect for high precision reloading. There are Troemner scales on FeeBay right now.
Img_1123.jpg

The best of the old and the new.

Last edited: