Electronic vs Balance Beam scales

I like the electronic scale, but over the last month or so I have noticed that my RCBS 1500 is off by as much as five whole grains when I checked it with the beam scale?????? I was going to call RCBS and ask them if my scale was having issues??????? The scale was right on when I first bought it 3 years ago, but now always seems to be off! Anyone experience anything similar?

Yikes..., That's why I tended to stick with the old teeter-totter balance beams. Gravity has been pretty constant over my lifetime. But electronic devices can go t_ts up at any time.

Thanks for the gory details Boomtube I knew you had it in you. Makes sense. These tiny feeler cells are also probably also built by the lowest bidder! Can you hear my confidence plummeting?

I actually have 3 large florescent lights above my 1500. Never an issue with my 1500, but Capt Academy just made beamers righteous. 5 grains? Was it 5 grains diff consistently? 5 grains different than your check weights? 5 grain spread?

I just trust in my check weights and i even own a second check weight set to check my check weights (repeat gift at christmas , but a different brand)(yes this is overkill) but... to make any scale/gauge reliable, you have to compare them to a range of known values. Even a beam scale may be off if not tested against these known values at different weights!

I like the electronic scale, but over the last month or so I have noticed that my RCBS 1500 is off by as much as five whole grains when I checked it with the beam scale?????? I was going to call RCBS and ask them if my scale was having issues??????? The scale was right on when I first bought it 3 years ago, but now always seems to be off! Anyone experience anything similar?

Did you calibrate your 1500 with your check weights?

Did you check your balance beam with your check weights?

When you place your 50 grain check weight on the 1500 does it read 5 grains off?

For those of you with problems holding Zero, An uninturuptable power supply (UPS for your computer, purchased at any office store) should be in your future.

While not related to scales, I deal with motion control using electronic controlers. In the field when we run into unexplainable control issues, we commonly find that some repeatability problemes are related in some way to dirty power. Could be poor grounding, fluctuating voltage, weird voltages etc.

A UPS is a good way to even out some power problems...its esentially a battery that isolates the grid from your equipment. flattens and conditions the power to be more consistant.

Another thing to look at is induced voltages related to proximity to higher voltages. (is your scale near the high voltage lines running to your panel?) I once had a customer replace all the servo drives on a machine because it wouldnt work) later found out it was sitting directly over the 27000v lines running into the factory. Moved the machine and POOF! no more problems.

On site conditions can make a huge difference to reliability...

Oh little did I realise what I was starting with this thread!! Seriously though - thanks chaps for a very informative thread. I think there is a place for both electronic and balance beam scales. I love the speed at which I can load using my 1500 but there is often just a teeny bit of doubt in my mind.

This all started because I was frustrated with my Lee safety scales....they take ages to settle and I am not always convinced of the result. Moving forward I think I will continue with my 1500 but may move onto balance beam once I have my work flow sorted and for certain loads....

Ah, went from the inexpensive little Lee Safety scale to a 1500 system. Sorta made a quantum leap, didn't you?

I like the light weight Lee for what it is and the type of loader it was intended for. It's good though, you can fully depend on its accuracy. But, it really isn't a good example of what a high grade beam scale can be, direct comparisons between the two types of scales based on the Lee are not in order.

Enjoy your 1500 scale/dispenser system, sure hope it works well for a long time. I don't EXPECT that, but I do hope it happens! :)

Ah, went from the inexpensive little Lee Safety scale to a 1500 system. Sorta made a quantum leap, didn't you?

I like the light weight Lee for what it is and the type of loader it was intended for. It's good though, you can fully depend on its accuracy. But, it really isn't a good example of what a high grade beam scale can be, direct comparisons between the two types of scales based on the Lee are not in order.

Enjoy your 1500 scale/dispenser system, sure hope it works well for a long time. I don't EXPECT that, but I do hope it happens! :)

You may be correct Boom....and at some point a high end balance beam scale may make its way onto my bench. I think someone else said it earlier but I think my version of 'lean manufacturing' is not yet developed enough to have processes as smooth (and quick) with balance beam as they are with the 1500. More practice and a time when a bit more of my day belongs to me and the story will doubtless be a little different!

Glad I found this thread. My dad gave me some reloading equip. a few years ago which included a 10-10 scale and an RCBS electronic scale. Well, earlier this year my dad wanted the beam scale back as he wanted to get back into reloading. So I sent it back to him. I never felt very confident in the electronic scale, but used it anyways. Last week I double checked some loads for my .338 Edge cause I was getting pressure signs and found that out of 13 loads that I checked there was only 1 that actually weighed what it was supposed to and there was a .5 gn variation in charge weight between those loads. Now I don't trust the scale anymore.And since I only had the electronic scale to double check them with, who knows where they really are. Gonna find me a good beam scale where I will have more confidence.

Used the beam scales and the cheaper electronic scales over the years. Been satisfied with both to a point. Lately I have switched over to a laboratory grade electronic scale by Denver Instrument. Quite a bit more money than the other electronic scales on the market, but I am very happy with the performance of this scale. The extra money is well worth the peace of mind..

I have a lyman scale and love it. Ifs fast and right on the money every time I use it. I check wright about every 6 or 8 loads and have no problen at all

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.