Beam Scales

A while back someone listed a place to send balance beam scales to calibrate them.I'll try to remember.
I was going to send off the 505 as it became a bit inconsistent but I remembered I had the 10-10 so I used it.
If anyone remembers the place to send balance beam scales for re-calibration please list it.
The Lyman beam scale I started with had an adjustment wheel that raised and lowered the scales main body. I'm wondering if all that's needed to verify accuracy would be just a known weight item like a bullet and having a clean scale on a level surface

They all have that adjustment but I check my loaded rounds on a digital scale after loading from my 505 RCBS and I had several that were wayyyyy off so I broke them all down and stopped using the 505.From then on I used my digital scale and keep my 10-10 scale to double check.
I bet there is a way to make that old 505 usefull again but I don't know for sure.

I dont think the newer ones are the same quality. I have an Ohaus Rcbs 5-10 that is almost 40 years old. I have tried multiple strain gauge scales with no luck. Thought about upgrading to a magnetic force balance like the A&D but now that I'm retired time is something I have.

Last edited:
Any one know who's making the best reloading Beam scale. I have a digital scale too, but I'd just rather use a beam . After searching, No one makes anything like the old Ohaus 1110. or the RCBS 304.
Honestly, I don't think anybody is making a best mechanical beam type scale. I believe that a new, clean RCBC or Ohaus 10-10 was a good enough scale, back in the day. It seemed quite possible to load +/- 0.1gr as long as it checked ok with a variety of appropriate precision check weights. My 5-10 and 5-05 seemed to work when I had them…..still, I'll bet I was worse than +/- 0.1gr. They really didn't make scales to that accuracy level that were mechanical unless labeled reloading scales. That always made me wonder!

Can you explai, "I'd just rather use a beam"? I'm just wondering why?

If you have a digital scale, I would suggest you spend that money on check weights so you know what it is telling you.

From then on I used my digital scale and keep my 10-10 scale to double check.
I read this a lot. What does this mean? The digital scale, if appropriate for reloadin, is much more accurate and repeatable. What is the mechanical beam telling you? Have you considered a set of appropriately toleranced check weights?

The new and newish RCBS (Ohaus) are not made in the USA (China or Mexico?). Look for used Made in USA scales (I think they were made in NJ?).

Prometheus is the best beam scale made.

2V0uVkHh.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Honestly, I don't think anybody is making a best mechanical beam type scale. I believe that a new, clean RCBC or Ohaus 10-10 was a good enough scale, back in the day. It seemed quite possible to load +/- 0.1gr as long as it checked ok with a variety of appropriate precision check weights. My 5-10 and 5-05 seemed to work when I had them…..still, I'll bet I was worse than +/- 0.1gr. They really didn't make scales to that accuracy level that were mechanical unless labeled reloading scales. That always made me wonder!

Can you explai, "I'd just rather use a beam"? I'm just wondering why?

If you have a digital scale, I would suggest you spend that money on check weights so you know what it is telling you.

I read this a lot. What does this mean? The digital scale, if appropriate for reloadin, is much more accurate and repeatable. What is the mechanical beam telling you? Have you considered a set of appropriately toleranced check weights?
Great question.I do have RCBS check weights and the 505 had a catch that you had to help it over that catch and then ok.The 10-10 does not.
My Pact digital scale was not as accurate due to flouesencent bulbs.If I turned the lights off it was ok but on it never settled Thus the use of the 10-10.
I have since rewired my lights to accept LED bulbs so digital scale works great now and the 10-10 is just to confirm every now and then.
Who ever said they prefer to use a beam scale can answer that question.