Bartlein featherweight barrel questions

Highvoltage

I have a .264 8 twist featherweight barrel that would finish at 23", has anyone ever chambered one in a magnum caliber before and what was the accuracy results. I'm thinking prc, saum, wsm but I'm unsure of whether it will be accurate or not. I would think a creed or 6.5x284 would be ok accuracy wise. Maybe I'm over thinking this one, and I know some of the newer rifles have pencil barrels and still shoot fairly well. Let me know your results. Thanks and best wishes.

Skinny barrels are not inaccurate, they are just prone to heating up quick.
All barrels can be tuned, just not all barrels can withstand long strings of shots.
I have several lightweight rifles with skinny barrels. All of them are accurate for the first 3 shots, they're not for range sitting hitting gongs at 600 to 1000.
Most of mine are in large belted magnums or RUM's.
Sure my heavy barrel rifles are more accurate over several strings of shots, but this is due to them not heating up, not because they are heavier barrels.

Cheers.

Around .580" roughly. I feel like there's a little more meat on the bone with a .264 bore than say a .308 bore
This is most certainly true, when I look at the muzzle on my 6.5's it always looks small, even in comparison to my 7mm's.

Cheers.

The pre 64 Model 70 Winchester was manufactured in their featherweight version with a 264 Winchester Magnum chamber. I have not heard any complaints about barrel failure. Like all slim barrels they heat up faster. Bartlein makes both the Winchester featherweight version with a .970 chamber diameter and their #2 featherweight version with a .980 chamber diameter and it also has a larger diameter further forward. I have two Winchester featherweight barrels that have been re-bored to 338 and I have not had any problems with the barrels. I can fire about 5 rounds without worrying about a loss of accuracy. I have been considering buying a Bartlein barrel in the #2 version with a 284 bore for a 22 inch barrel on a hunting rifle. Either a 280 Remington or 280 Ackley Improved. I am leaning toward the 280 Remington because it is a 22 inch barrel. In your case that 6.5x284 sounds good because you can buy Lapua brass. Bartlein's #2 featherweight barrel has a .580 diameter at the muzzle.

Last edited:
Skinny barrels are not inaccurate, they are just prone to heating up quick.
All barrels can be tuned, just not all barrels can withstand long strings of shots.
I have several lightweight rifles with skinny barrels. All of them are accurate for the first 3 shots, they're not for range sitting hitting gongs at 600 to 1000.
Most of mine are in large belted magnums or RUM's.
Sure my heavy barrel rifles are more accurate over several strings of shots, but this is due to them not heating up, not because they are heavier barrels.

Cheers.
Agree with all above. Have used Bartein 2b's and are very accurate. I think many people blame light barrels, real problem is controlling the recoil consistently. I do not need to shoot .2's .3's hunting.

All sounds good! I've kicked the 6.5x284 around a good bit and since it will be built on a tikka ss 3006 action it should be a good fit. I wanted a saum but it would take buying a new bolt and different mag. Then I thought the rpm would be great since the brass has been readily available but expensive.