Brux or Bartlein barrel?

I have had em all, and prefer Krieger. Bartliens are just as good. Working with my first Brux now, and it has not been cream of the crop.

I have 4 bartlein 3 brux all shoot very well. I would buy what ever you can get faster. I also love my Krieger and Mullerworks. Can't go wrong with any of the top barrel manufactures.

I have had Schneider, and Brux. No experience with Bartlein, but have heard all good things about them.
My brux, went on a .280, i built around 2012. It shoots lites out, broke in ok, took a little long thrn I thought, but dosent foul. Loves copper bullets. Barrel is really fast.
As mentioned, they are all really good, go with what you wait the shortest time for. Enjoy the ride.

As stated above, all the top mfrs put out good barrels. I mostly use bartlein, but sprinkle in some kreiger and brux here lately. Used three rock creek and they seemed to be more finicky about loads. All of the makers will have a crooked barrel. I'd say 1/5 bartlein I've used were whippy when dialed in in lathe. I've had one whippy kreiger, just dialed in a brux today that is pretty whippy. They all shoot though.

Either one will serve you well. I've only owned Bartlein, Brux, Hawk Hill and Schneider and they all shot and cleaned well. The Schneider was the most accurate though, but it was a freak. (I think)

My last barrel was a Brux on my match rifle last year. It went out in October, and I put on a Bartlein. I now have just over 1k rnds after the match this past weekend in Washington.
My Brux was very fast and very accurate. I went with a Bart cause it was available. It is very fast and very accurate.

YOU will not be able to tell the difference in any regard.

I went Brux on my 7 Dak. Not happy with it. Seriously considering a Bartlein. I've personally seen several Bartleins perform but don't know anyone with a Brux. Wish I had a free do over on this one.

I have two Rocks and one Bartlein but you simply cannot go wrong with any of those choices. If I were in your shoes, wait time would probably be the deciding factor.

I've used numerous barrels from both Brux and Bartlein. They are basically equals. Bartlein barrels are straighter but don't necessarily shoot better. A Brux barrel set the new BR record at 1k and one set a 600yd BR record last year. BR is the benchmark for accuracy IMO and 600/1000yd Benchrest is the closest benchmark to us as LR hunters. A good barrel is a good barrel though. I've had good barrels from most all of the top manufacturers but have had better luck overall with cut rifled barrels.

Yup, it is the old Ford Chevy Mopar debate, personally I don't think friends should let friends drive Chevy's or Dodges, but that is just my opinion......

I love my Bartlein barrels, everyone we have gotten shoots! But I use Kreigers on my BR rigs and Broughton on my long range Silo rigs. They are all good.

I build a 25 Souper on a Mod 70 Feather weight with a Bartlien for my hunting partner a few years ago, man does this shoot. We used a 9 twist so he could stabilize the copper bullets better here in the Peoples Republic of Calif. Its a consistant 1/2 to 5/8" gun with a feather weight barrel, not bad.

I just got a Bartlein 6.5 to build a PRC, it is the #3 Heavy Sporter, .670" at the muzzle, 7.5 twist. I ordered a Pacific reamer with a custom grind for the neck and throat to match a dummy round I made up. The reamer is supposed to be here tomorrow :)

I ordered two barrels at the same time, my buddy backed out at the last minute. Another friend bought the 2nd barrel, now he has decided to build something else.

Think he wants to sell it. If you are interested, let me know. It is still in the tube.

If you are considering rebarreling a 264mag, take a hard look at the PRC case. I'm sold.

Last edited:
If ordering a standard contour, I would prefer the Brux. It will have a 1.250" diameter chamber end. The Bartlein will have a 1.200" diameter.
Since I posted this, I have ordered my first barrel from Brux. The chamber end dimensions didn't match the dimensions shown on their contour chart. They didn't consider that an issue and seemed offended when I questioned them about it.

After I learned of that discrepancy, I carefully examined the rest of the barrel. The consistency of the taper was as good as any I've ever checked and the bore, when examined with a bore scope, looked very nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts